Some evacuated residents allowed to return home as crews contain 50% of wildfire
Likewise, her son wasn't able to make practice on the night the fire broke out. But he was back at football practice the next night.
"I think it gets his mind off it, he can go hit somebody," Rex said with a smile. "The first night he didn't (practice). His family called me and asked me what they could do to raise some money to get some new gear because he lost all his football gear in the fire. And I said, 'Show up to practice, we'll take care of that.'
"The community is awesome up here, small town community, you know, that gets together. I'm sure we'll have a whole bunch of people here tonight," he said of the fundraiser. "I was in town earlier today and had two people hand me cash and say, 'I know what you're doing tonight, give it to the family.'"
Starting Friday, a multi-agency resource center will be set up at the Wanship LDS meetinghouse, 30899 Old Lincoln Highway, for any displaced residents who have been impacted in any way by the fire. The center is for people who "have suffered some direct losses, and need immediate compensation," outside of insurance claims, according to the county.
The shelter that had been set up in Park City by the American Red Cross closed Thursday. But the shelter in Coalville remained open.
Many of the evacuated residents have been gathering in the campgrounds of Rockport State Park with their RVs. Boating is not allowed until further notice because the helicopters making water drops on the fire have been filling their buckets in the reservoir.
During a brief media tour Thursday afternoon, reporters could still see small pillars of smoke rising from the vegetation of the Rockport Estates area. Many of the homes that were still standing were completely surrounded by black landscape.
Fairbanks said his home was at the top of Rockport Estates and was still standing as of Thursday morning, but it was near a grove of scrub oak.
"If (the fire) goes around that front side and up that draw, you can interview us tomorrow and we'll tell you about how we watched our house burn," he said.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17