"Some are wildernesses that people create for themselves, and some are a consequence of the world in which we live," Elder Clayton said. "There are wildernesses of unemployment, wildernesses of addiction, wildernesses of immigration. There are so many things that can make life uneven and difficult.
"And then you come to a building like this," he continued, "and you see that the Lord has provided a way to confront and tame the wildernesses in which we live."
Linda K. Burton, general president of the LDS Relief Society, spoke intimately of ways in which the three entities — Deseret Industries, LDS Family Services and LDS Employment Resource Services — had blessed her family as well as the lives of people she knew. She said she has seen "darkness and despair give way to hope and happiness" through these welfare services, and she expressed gratitude that this new facility will be a place where people will find encouragement, confidence and healing.
Bishop Gary E. Stevenson of the church's Presiding Bishopric recalled being in Japan at the time of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami and seeing how these welfare elements fit together to bless the lives of the Japanese people during a time of great need.
"I saw first-hand the response through the organization of the church," Bishop Stevenson said, quoting President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's statement that "the welfare principles of the church are not simply good ideas; they are revealed truths from God — they are his way of helping the needy."
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Wright Words: A day in the life of Mormon...
- LDS pitcher Matthew Neil asked for a trial...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 109
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 34
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 32
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 13
- Here's how you can learn more about God 13
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks... 8