"Some are wildernesses that people create for themselves, and some are a consequence of the world in which we live," Elder Clayton said. "There are wildernesses of unemployment, wildernesses of addiction, wildernesses of immigration. There are so many things that can make life uneven and difficult.
"And then you come to a building like this," he continued, "and you see that the Lord has provided a way to confront and tame the wildernesses in which we live."
Linda K. Burton, general president of the LDS Relief Society, spoke intimately of ways in which the three entities — Deseret Industries, LDS Family Services and LDS Employment Resource Services — had blessed her family as well as the lives of people she knew. She said she has seen "darkness and despair give way to hope and happiness" through these welfare services, and she expressed gratitude that this new facility will be a place where people will find encouragement, confidence and healing.
Bishop Gary E. Stevenson of the church's Presiding Bishopric recalled being in Japan at the time of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami and seeing how these welfare elements fit together to bless the lives of the Japanese people during a time of great need.
"I saw first-hand the response through the organization of the church," Bishop Stevenson said, quoting President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's statement that "the welfare principles of the church are not simply good ideas; they are revealed truths from God — they are his way of helping the needy."
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 11 things you should know about the... 91
- The latest developments on religious... 40
- General Women's Session focuses on... 34
- The challenges and blessings of... 34
- State bills to protect religious... 27
- Taylor Halverson: Learning is becoming... 20
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 17
- Indiana Gov. Mike Pence: ‘Not... 16