Hagan Hines is slated to start at quarterback, while the offensive line — although larger than last year — still is potentially undersized.
“I’m not sure how big the 2A schools are going to be,” Gorringe said. “I’d imagine that we’re still going to be fairly on the smaller side of most of the 2A schools. I don’t know if we’ll use size to our advantage, but maybe that one year of experience and athleticism I think will help us.”
(8 returning starters)
Similar to the offense, the defense will hinge its success on quickness to get off the field.
“We’re not going to be big and we’re going to have to rely on our athleticism and get off blocks,” Gorringe said. “We’re going to be a little big bigger up front and we’re going to be able to play gap control a little better than we did last year. I think we’ll be OK and we’re going to find out in 2A.”
Coaches preseason 2A North straw poll: Fourth
Deseret News 2A North prediction: Fifth
Bottom line: The Bears are notably bigger than they were last season, but with the upgrade into 2A and a decrease in numbers, they’ll still be one of the smaller teams every Friday. This isn’t a team that’s going to be blown out of too many games, but the adjustment into a tough, deep classification might be rough.
Felt’s Facts for Summit Academy High School
All-time record: 5-5 (1 year)
Region championships: 0
Playoff appearances: 1
All-time playoff record: 0-1
State championships: 0
State championship record: 0-0
Summit Academy coaching history
2012-current — Scott Gorringe (5-5)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Utah Jazz: Rip City, all right...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah State football: Immovable Aggies face...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 46