High school football: Summit Academy Bears 2013 preview
Hagan Hines is slated to start at quarterback, while the offensive line — although larger than last year — still is potentially undersized.
“I’m not sure how big the 2A schools are going to be,” Gorringe said. “I’d imagine that we’re still going to be fairly on the smaller side of most of the 2A schools. I don’t know if we’ll use size to our advantage, but maybe that one year of experience and athleticism I think will help us.”
(8 returning starters)
Similar to the offense, the defense will hinge its success on quickness to get off the field.
“We’re not going to be big and we’re going to have to rely on our athleticism and get off blocks,” Gorringe said. “We’re going to be a little big bigger up front and we’re going to be able to play gap control a little better than we did last year. I think we’ll be OK and we’re going to find out in 2A.”
Coaches preseason 2A North straw poll: Fourth
Deseret News 2A North prediction: Fifth
Bottom line: The Bears are notably bigger than they were last season, but with the upgrade into 2A and a decrease in numbers, they’ll still be one of the smaller teams every Friday. This isn’t a team that’s going to be blown out of too many games, but the adjustment into a tough, deep classification might be rough.
Felt’s Facts for Summit Academy High School
All-time record: 5-5 (1 year)
Region championships: 0
Playoff appearances: 1
All-time playoff record: 0-1
State championships: 0
State championship record: 0-0
Summit Academy coaching history
2012-current — Scott Gorringe (5-5)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31