Sen. Orrin Hatch to join Zuckerberg’s immigration roundtable Thursday in Utah, reports say
Mark A. Philbrick, BYU
Sen. Orrin Hatch is slated to participate in an immigration roundtable on Thursday hosted by a high-profile advocacy group attached to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.
“FWD.us is hosting a roundtable discussion on immigration reform Thursday in Utah that will feature the state's senior senator, Orrin Hatch,” Jennifer Martinez reported Wednesday for political website The Hill. “The focus of the roundtable is the economic need for the U.S. to revamp its immigration laws, according to FWD.us, which was co-founded by Zuckerberg and former college roommate Joe Green earlier this year. In addition to Hatch, executives from Utah-based tech firms and investors will be on hand to participate in the discussion.”
FWD.us confirmed the report via its Twitter feed.
Last week, Zuckerberg made his first public comments about immigration reform since April prior to an invitation-only screening of the film “Documented.”
Regarding the motives of FWD.us, earlier this year KSL.com’s Shara Park wrote, “One of the changes Zuckerberg's group outlines is ‘modifications to the guest worker program (that) must also include an increase in the number of H-1B visas to attract the world's best and the brightest workers,’ according to the website. Its main principles are immigration reform, education reform to produce more science, math and technology graduates, and more support for scientific research.”
This won’t be the first time Hatch is linked to Zuckerberg. In March 2011, Hatch and Zuckerberg both participated in a technology forum at BYU.
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Wind-fueled fire rips through large Draper home
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Couple arrested in Louisiana for $114K theft...
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an 'uncommon' life...
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches...
- Woman, 69, fights off carjacker who then sets...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 46
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 39
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 27
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches... 17