Utah Utes football: Andy Phillips solidifying his position as Utes' top kicker
“It actually all started with a family Thanksgiving football game where my brother and I were trying to beat each other out for longest field goal,” said Phillips. “Then all of a sudden a New Year’s resolution came that I should make a Pac-12 team and try and be a kicker. So I worked my guts out and (Utah special teams) coach (Jay) Hill gave me an opportunity and I just jumped on it.”
Phillips told Hill that he always wanted to play football and was given a shot last fall. He impressed Hill by having a “good pop” on the ball when he connected with it. In the spring, Hill said Phillips went through a period of refinement as they honed in on his technique.
“He’s a mentally tough kid. I mean, you’ve got to be right, to go flying down those ski runs 70 miles an hour and the crashes those guys go through. They’ve got no fear, and he’s mentally tough,” said Hill. “That’s what I love about him. He goes in there and he doesn’t have any fear. He just lets it rip.”
And things are going well.
“He’s a guy that the players love to be around, and so far he’s handled pressure situations very good this camp,” said Hill, who added that Phillips is starting to earn the respect of his teammates just as Sakoda and Joe Phillips did. “Those are big shoes to compare him to at this point, but I see great things in him, and he’s had a heckuva camp.”
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35