Dick Harmon: It is possible the BYU Cougars are going too fast, too hard
This go-fast thing is interesting. Legs are legs. They only have so much fire and spring in them before they stop working at optimum levels and simply tell the body there’s nothing left.
You see this in basketball tournaments. Things are fine the first night; legs tire the second; and by the third game, if a team makes it that far, the court is full of dead legs. Recovery can be quick, but having dead legs is a real phenomenon.
By their own admission, BYU coaches say they’re preparing players for the equivalent of going an extra quarter per game. Long term, that means about an extra game for every three games played. Roughly, that means between three plus extra games on the season.
Maybe that's an exaggeration, but it would take some serious conditioning, substituting and depth. Not sure BYU has the luxury of the latter. The Cougars aren’t Ducks, as in Oregon’s flock.
Another observation: This may be the most physically gifted receiving corps the Cougars have ever had. They're tall, athletic and have good speed. Defending them is tough. Going fast defending the tempo of these guys may be more stressful physically than Mendenhall estimated it to be.
Defensive depth at corner is an issue.
If you don’t have it, you run on dead legs.
If BYU runs players into the ground, things could get brutal because of the schedule the Cougars face.
"Go fast, go hard" is a nifty phrase.
Doing it is an adventure.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Coach Steve Kerr: Warriors on brink but ready...
- San Jose Sharks head to 1st Cup final after...
- LeBron, Love power Cavaliers to 116-78 romp...
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 69
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 34
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title... 25
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 19