USU Athletics celebrate successful year of academic and athletic achievements
LOGAN — The 2012-13 campaign was a successful one for Utah State Athletics in the classroom and on the field of play. Its student-athletes helped USU lead the Western Athletic Conference in academic all-league honorees for the eighth year in a row while claiming three conference championships.
Overall, 209 student-athletes received academic all-conference honors in the final season in the WAC, leading the league for the eighth year in a row. Additionally, 189 were recognized as Whitesides Scholar-Athletes. Utah State graduated 70 student-athletes during the 2012-13 school year.
On the competitive side, 104 student-athletes received all-WAC honors. Football, soccer and volleyball won conference championships during the 2012-13 seasons, while the men's cross-country, men's outdoor track and women's basketball teams finished second.
During a record-setting season, Utah State football finished ninth in academic performance among schools in the final top 25 BCS standings. Then-senior safety McKade Brady was named a Capitol One First-Team Academic All-American. Running back Kerwynn Williams was named an honorable mention All-American by SI.com, while cornerback Will Davis was named to the same list while also earning third-team honors from CBSSports.com and fourth-team honors from Phil Steele.
Utah State's soccer team was well represented by Natalie Norris who was named a National Soccer Coaches Association of America Scholar All-American, as well as receiving first-team soccer CoSIDA Academic All-American honors. Norris, Ashlyn Mulford and Jennifer Flynn received NSCAA first-team Scholar all-West Region honors. As a team, USU soccer earned the NSCAA team Academic Award for the 10th-straight year.
For her accomplishments on the pitch, Norris received Senior CLASS second-team All-American and Capital One Academic All-American honors.
The USU golf team earned the Golf Coaches Association All-Academic team award. On an individual level, junior Tanner Higham was named to the CoSIDA Academic all-District VIII at-large team, as well being named a Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholar by the GCAA.
The men's and women's track and field teams earned US Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Division I All-Academic honors. Individually, Kyle McKenna and Jodi Williams were named to the CoSIDA Acameic All-District VII team. After successful performances at the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Ore., junior Chari Hawkins and senior Will Henry each received second-team All-American honors.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43