Utah Jazz: Agent Justin Zanik to be hired as assistant general manager
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz are making yet another hire.
Player agent Justin Zanik will join the organization as assistant general manager, a source confirmed to the Deseret News.
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey went his first year on the job in Utah without an assistant. Kevin O'Connor, his predecessor, will remain in his front-office position as executive vice president of basketball operations.
Zanik has been working for ASM Sports and was the representative for Thunder center Serge Ibaka, among other NBA players. He graduated from Northwestern with an economics major in 1998 before beginning his career as a sports agent in 2003.
The bio on Zanik's old agency's website described him as being "an integral part of all of ASM’s contract and statistical analysis during preparation for Free Agency."
Draftexpress.com's Jonathan Givony tweeted this out shortly after ESPN's Jeff Goodman broke the news about Zanik: "Great hire for Utah in Justin Zanik. One of the smartest agents in the business. Will be a great asset for them w/the cap/contracts and more."
Though the Jazz haven't announced Zanik's hiring, it is the latest in a string of offseason moves by the transitioning organization. Other non-player hires include Jerry Sloan rejoining the team as a senior basketball adviser, Karl Malone being dubbed as a part-time big man coach and former University of Utah standout Alex Jensen landing a gig on the player development staff to replace promoted assistant coach Brad Jones.
Utah has also added quite a few new faces on its roster since the 2012-13 season concluded. The Jazz acquired first-round picks Trey Burke and Rudy Gobert in draft-night trades, dealt for Andris Biedrins, Richard Jefferson and Brandon Rush in a three-way trade and signed free agents John Lucas III and Ian Clark.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33