Utah Jazz: Agent Justin Zanik to be hired as assistant general manager
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz are making yet another hire.
Player agent Justin Zanik will join the organization as assistant general manager, a source confirmed to the Deseret News.
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey went his first year on the job in Utah without an assistant. Kevin O'Connor, his predecessor, will remain in his front-office position as executive vice president of basketball operations.
Zanik has been working for ASM Sports and was the representative for Thunder center Serge Ibaka, among other NBA players. He graduated from Northwestern with an economics major in 1998 before beginning his career as a sports agent in 2003.
The bio on Zanik's old agency's website described him as being "an integral part of all of ASM’s contract and statistical analysis during preparation for Free Agency."
Draftexpress.com's Jonathan Givony tweeted this out shortly after ESPN's Jeff Goodman broke the news about Zanik: "Great hire for Utah in Justin Zanik. One of the smartest agents in the business. Will be a great asset for them w/the cap/contracts and more."
Though the Jazz haven't announced Zanik's hiring, it is the latest in a string of offseason moves by the transitioning organization. Other non-player hires include Jerry Sloan rejoining the team as a senior basketball adviser, Karl Malone being dubbed as a part-time big man coach and former University of Utah standout Alex Jensen landing a gig on the player development staff to replace promoted assistant coach Brad Jones.
Utah has also added quite a few new faces on its roster since the 2012-13 season concluded. The Jazz acquired first-round picks Trey Burke and Rudy Gobert in draft-night trades, dealt for Andris Biedrins, Richard Jefferson and Brandon Rush in a three-way trade and signed free agents John Lucas III and Ian Clark.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 63
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 43
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 42
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30