Gill said she understands that people were scared when the bottles exploded. She has heard some of the 911 calls that came in on the night of Aug. 2.
“I probably would have been equally scared as them, but I didn’t really think about how they probably did think we were trying to throw them at them,” she said. “We never did. We never threw it at people.”
Gill's attorney said part of the reason the case is getting so much attention is because of her title as Miss Riverton.
“Kendra is a lovely person who became Miss Riverton, and now it’s being almost held against her that she held that title, and that she did something that was foolish,” Bugden said.
Gill said she looks at her mistake as a learning experience.
“I do believe this whole thing is a way to help us grow and to learn from our mistakes and to move forward and just kind of get on with our lives,” she said.
The Gill family's Riverton home is adorned with flowers from friends and family. Her parents, Gavin and Michelle Gill, said they believe their daughter will become a better person by experiencing the consequences of her actions.
I think with all that she’s been going through, it’s hard to get mad at her because her intention was never to hurt anybody,” Michelle Gill said.
Gavin Gill acknowledges that bad choices were made but said he couldn’t be more proud of his daughter and the things she’s accomplished in her life.
Now, the family is waiting to see what will happen in court.
“I’m confident that the legal system will handle it correctly, and the people that understand the facts of what’s going on and the character of all four of the youngsters that are involved in this will see this and handle it appropriately,” Gavin Gill said.
Contributing: Viviane Vo-Duc
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 53
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 28
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 12