Offense (4 returning starters, multiple formations) Senior Merrill Terry is sliding into an open quarterback position that was left vacant when both experienced returners moved out of town. He will rely on the solid play of linemen Madison Knape, Nate Bowman, Dominiq Rios and Daven Russell. Receiver Hadin Jones, tight end Dan Ramsay, and running backs Taylor Glover and Luke Crosby will step back into the offense in their team's return to 1A.
Defense (4 returning starters) Knape, Bowman, Rios and Russell will also anchor the Kanab defense from the line while Glover and Ramsay will work as linebackers and Terry and Jones work as defensive backs. Crosby will be primarily used as a linebacker, but has great versatility and spent last year working his way through each of the positions on defense.
Coaches preseason 1A South straw poll: First
Deseret News 1A South prediction: First
Bottom line: With just four returning starters, the Cowboys need to get experience, and do it fast. They have found team chemistry but need their quarterback to become comfortable with his new spot on the field. Kanab suddenly became the largest school in its classification, which is both a benefit and a burden, imposing new pressures on the team that dominated the class the last time it was in this position.
Kanab coaching history
2003-current — Bucky Orton (78-38)
2002 — Dwaine Hatch (9-2)
1994-2001 — Rod Quarnberg (43-38)
1965-1993 — Arlyn Hafen (210-91)
1962-1964 — Steve Lunt (15-8-2)
1959-1961 — Louis Chatterly (10-11)
1957-1958 — Boyd Adams (4-10-1)
1950-1956 — unknown (10-19-3)
1949 — David Gates (4-2)
Deseret News MVPs the past 10 years
2007 — Logan Mazzettia, RB/LB
2005 — Tyler Ramsay, RB/LB
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2012 — Brandon Jenson, QB/DB
2011 — Dylan Hill, OL/DL
2010 — Cody Barber, RB/LB
2009 — Rhees Jackson, WR/DE
2009 — Stetson Crandall, OL/LB
2008 — Craig Brinkerhoff, QB/DB
2008 — Bryce Hafen, RB/LB
2008 — Justin Orton, WR/DB
2007 — Ty Bunting, TE/DL
2007 — Thomas Quist, RB/DB
2007 — Levi Vincent, RB/LB
2007 — Rick Visser, OL/DL
2006 — Mitch Glazier, QB/DB
2006 — Shaun Johnson, RB/LB
2006 — TJ Reidhead, LB
2006 — Julius Visser, OL/DL
2005 — Tannner Chamberlain, WR/DE
2005 — Mitchell Glazier, QB/SS
2005 — Caleb Vincent, RB/LB
2004 — Brandon Brown, RB
2004 — Evan Orton, RB
2004 — Sterling Glover, TE
2003 — Evan Orton, RB
2003 — Justin Frost, DL
2003 — Kelly Brown, LB
2003 — Brandon Brown, DB
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last year and...
- The state of Utah's all-time NFL undrafted...
- Samuel Benson: Whatever happened to the...
- Morning links: Snow College 4-star OL...
- Rock On: One more incentive to attend BYU
- Dillon Robinson's career takes an unexpected,...
- Doug Robinson: What do BYU's low draft...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 102
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last... 69
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 52
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's... 51
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 48
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 43
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 36
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in... 25