Utah Utes football: Offense excels, scores seven touchdowns during Utes scrimmage
Defensively, there were some bright spots as well. Linebacker Travis Still recovered a fumble and safety Charles Henderson had an interception.
Reilly, a projected starter at defensive end, observed things weren’t too bad — although he noted that third down and red zone situations need to get much better.
“Those critical plays," Reilly said. “We’re not totally there yet.”
The defense gave up a first down on fourth-and-20 and allowed the offense to move the chains on some third-and-5 plays. Reilly is confident those things will be shored up with more experiences and as everyone gets comfortable with the defense.
All things considered, Whittingham’s initial impression of the scrimmage was that no position outcomes were finalized.
“There might have been some switches, but nothing’s been decided,” he said.
Despite limited action, Wilson remains the starting quarterback, and the chase for backup spots continues. Cox was 3 for 10 for 33 yards and a touchdown. Schulz completed 6 of 10 for 72 yards, and Manning was 10 of 20 for 116 yards and three scores — earning praise for his poise.
“Travis is our guy right now,” said Whittingham. “And really the battle right now is to see who is No. 2 and No. 3.”
The clock is ticking. Saturday’s scrimmage will carry a lot of weight with preparations for Utah State set to intensify Monday.
“This Saturday is really the last extensive live work they’ll get. We’ve got to have things sorted out,” said Whittingham. “We’ve got to know the guys who we’re going to sink our reps into going forward at that point and time.”
* * * * *
UTAH CAMP REPORT
Day 8: The Utes scrimmaged Tuesday morning at Rice-Eccles Stadium. They’ll resume two-a-days Wednesday.
Standouts: Quarterback Conner Manning threw for 116 yards and three touchdowns ... Wide receiver Anthony Denham had two touchdown catches and running back Kelvin York rushed for 70 yards and a score ... Running back Dre’Vian Young ran 60 yards for a TD ... Linebacker Travis Still recovered a fumble and had a pass breakup ... Safety Charles Henderson intercepted a pass ... Kicker Andy Phillips made five field goals and two PATs.
Injuries: Wilson tweaked his left ankle early in the scrimmage and saw limited action for precautionary reasons ... Defensive end Jason Whittingham has a broken bone in his left hand but is expected to be ready to go before the opener against Utah State on Aug. 29 ... Cornerback Reggie Porter is out with a groin pull.
Overheard: “I thought there were some really good things.” — Utah co-offensive coordinator Dennis Erickson.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 43
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20