Utah Utes football: Sophomore quarterback Travis Wilson insists he's still ready to go
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah quarterback Travis Wilson made a couple of things perfectly clear after Tuesday’s scrimmage. His left ankle isn’t that badly injured and he has no plans to relinquish his role as the Utes’ starter.
“It’s good. It’s just a little tweak,” Wilson said of the ankle injury that limited his participation in the scrimmage for precautionary reasons. “I’ll be ready to go tomorrow.”
Wilson completed 3 of 7 passes for 56 yards. The sophomore teamed with wide receiver Anthony Denham on a 51-yard scoring strike.
“If it was a game I definitely would have gone back in,” said Wilson. “But the coaches said, ‘Just hold out for a little bit.’”
Wilson, though, is determined to keep things running while fending off challenges by quarterbacks Brandon Cox, Conner Manning, Adam Schulz and Micah Thomas.
“I’m going to be grinding this out all the way to the first game,” Wilson explained. “I know the other kids are always competing against me, so that always motivates me. I’ve always got to keep that mindset.”
KICKING IT: Whittingham said one of the bright spots in camp has been the emergence of redshirt freshman Andy Phillips at kicker.
“He’s still got a lot of kicks to make between now and Utah State to solidify that job,” Whittingham said. “But right he has definitely separated himself from the other ones.”
Phillips made all five of his field goal attempts in Tuesday’s scrimmage, connecting from distances between 25 and 37 yards out. He also made two PATs.
Redshirt freshman Jamie Sutcliffe and sophomore Jon Halliday are the two other kickers on the current depth chart.
EXTRA POINTS: Left tackle Jeremiah Poutasi remained in “The Pit” for precautionary reasons while recovering from a sore back. He would have played, however, had it been a real game. ... Whittingham said the top cornerbacks in camp have been Justin Thomas, Keith McGill and Reggie Porter. ... No decisions or discussions on possible redshirts are planned until seven to 10 days prior to the season opener against USU. ... Freshman defensive end/linebacker Pita Taumoepenu drew praise from Whittingham for having “exceptional explosiveness”. ... Another freshman, defensive tackle Sam Tevi, is also projected to have a bright future. Whittingham said he “is going to be special if he continues on the path he’s on.”
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- Rodney Hood, Dante Exum highlight Utah Jazz...
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents may...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Wasatch Academy basketball coach Geno Morgan...
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 91
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 71
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 52
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 29
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 27