Homeowner shoots at burglar, who then steals his gun, police say
KEARNS — A homeowner confronted a burglar Tuesday and fired a shot at him, but the burglar took away his weapon and ran off, police say.
The incident happened about 1:30 p.m. at 4359 W. Tidwell St. (5940 South) when a man cut through a window screen and crawled inside the house, said Unified police detective Jared Richardson.
The homeowner, a man in his 60s, was in his basement when he heard noises upstairs, Richardson said. He grabbed his handgun, went upstairs and found the intruder disassembling electronic equipment.
"The suspect tries to get up and leave, the homeowner tells him, 'No.' They get into an altercation," Richardson said.
A fight ensued with the homeowner ending up on his back and the alleged intruder on top of him. That's when the homeowner, "in fear of his life," fired a shot at the burglar, Richardson said. The shot missed. The intruder responded by taking the gun away from the man and running out the door.
The homeowner did not suffer any serious injuries. Police with K-9s continued to search the area for the intruder.
Detectives were looking for a Hispanic man in his early 20s, about 5 feet 10 inches tall, with a slender build, short hair and a mustache. He was last seek wearing khaki pants and a black buttoned shirt, Richardson said.
Anyone with information can call police at 801-743-7000.
— Pat Reavy
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 30
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 19
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12