A man who invented indoor lighting that doesn't use electricity is helping some of the poorest neighborhoods in the world.
In 2002, Brazilian mechanic Alfredo Moser discovered a way to light his house using recycled materials and natural refracted light, Gibby Zobel wrote in a BBC News Magazine article. In the past two years his invention, the "Moser lamp," has gained recognition from similar parts of the world that have limited access to electricity.
The simple Moser lamp takes little time to install. Moser fills an empty plastic bottle with water and two capfuls of bleach to prevent algae from turning the water green. He then drills a hole in the roof of a house and secures the bottle inside the hole using a polyester resin, which also prevents leaks. Sunlight bends when it hits the bottle of water, and then spreads throughout the room.
The catch is that the strength of the light is dependent on the sun. However, an engineer that measured the light told Moser that on bright days the water bottles can put out between 40 and 60 watts.
After installing the lights in his home, Moser began to install them in neighbors' homes and even his local supermarket. Moser's lights have since been installed in homes and factories across the world, including 140,000 homes in the Philippines.
Read more about Alfredo Moser: Bottle light inventor proud to be poor on BBC News Magazine.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- New dynasty: Giants capture 3rd title in 5 years
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Maine in standoff with nurse over Ebola...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Churches proceed carefully when encouraging...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 62
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 37
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 30
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 20
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US... 13