Utah Jazz had the most interesting offseason, but will it be productive?
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
The 2013 offseason was an interesting one for the Utah Jazz. It was risky, shocking to some and instilled hope in a lot of Jazz fans.
Yahoo Sports writer Jared Bray wrote a commentary Monday that stated, "No team has had a more interesting offseason than the Utah Jazz."
Over the summer, the Jazz let several veteran free agents walk while signing rookies and creating a core around the youth of the team. The Jazz's mean age is 24.8, which is the fourth youngest team in the NBA heading into the 2013-14 season.
Despite the changes and the so-called youth movement, the lack of experience (Jazz average 3.7 years of NBA experience) might make for a below average season for the Jazz. Bray predicted only 28 wins next season by estimating win shares for each player.
Although the total wins might be down from last season, player per game averages are predicted to go up. For example, stats for Derrick Favors are predicted to jump from 9.4 points, 7.1 rebounds and 1.7 blocks to 14.5 points, 10.6 rebounds and 2.2 blocks. Although these numbers are estimates calculated by one guy, the projections at least look hopeful.
Another hopeful prediction is the NBA success of rookie point guard Trey Burke. A recent article by Purple and Blues predicted the Minnesota T-Wolves, who drafted Burke then promptly traded him to Utah, will be kicking themselves for giving him up.
The article suggested if Burke can get a way from his 3-point shooter mentality, he can become a versatile NBA guard. It also referenced a highlight video in which Burke didn't make a single 3-pointer, yet was still effective. Purple and Blues believes Burke will be the next big thing for the Jazz if he allows himself to grow and improve each year.
Read more about Bray's projections for the Utah Jazz at Yahoo Sports and Trey Burke on Purple and Blues.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 93
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33