Coach: Ed Larson is entering his fourth season as head coach and has a wealth of experience at both the prep and collegiate levels. He’s coached at Ricks College, Snow College, Dixie State, Weber State, Provo High and Springville High.
(West-Coast; 4 returning starters)
Larson has question marks at almost every position on offense, but looks to have at least two very good tight ends. Seegmiller will play a lot at the position along with newcomer TJ Masina.
At running back the team will likely rely on Micah Amisome and Jake Ware.
"I really like our tight ends and the athleticism there, so we'll depend on those guys a lot," Larson said. "Running backs are shaping up nicely as well."
The biggest challenge is the offensive line where Larson will replace four starters from last season.
"The good news is we have a lot of guys at the position," Larson said. "It's a bigger group there than I've ever coached since being here, but almost all of them have no experience, so it's something we'll have to overcome."
(4-3; 4 returning starters)
As mentioned, the team will rely heavily on both Esteban and Dunford in the defensive backfield.
"Jackson Dunford is someone who is getting looked at by colleges to play safety, so that's really his position," Larson said. "People ask me why I'm having my quarterback play safety, but that's where he's going to get a chance to play at the next level, so I feel that's my duty to keep playing him there. It's also going to be a big help to our defense."
Coach’s preseason Region 7 straw poll: Fourth
Deseret News preseason Region 7 prediction: Fourth
Timpanogos has too many players to replace at key positions to predict a region championship, much less a deep playoff run. The team has some outstanding playmakers in Austin Seegmiller and Jackson Dunford to make some noise, but the preseason prediction of finishing fourth in region would seem spot on. Look for the Timberwolves to be competitive, but don't expect them to make a serious run at a state championship.
Timpanogos coaching history
2010-current — Ed Larson (20-22)
2009 — Brad King (3-6)
2006-2008 — Brad Molen (13-18)
2004-2005 — Frank Bramall (8-13)
2003 — Darren DeGracie (4-5)
2001-2002 — Frank Bramall (13-10)
1996-2000 — Marc McKenney (7-40)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2007 — Christian Stewart, QB
2007 — Grant Jimenez, WR
2007 — David Kruger, DL
2007 — Taylor Lyons, DB
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 91
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 61
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 56
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 54
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24