Tom Smart, Deseret News
DONE AND DONE
BYU football coach Bronco Mendenhall has done some offbeat things. He once had players carry slogan coins in their pockets for an entire season. He initiated the phrase “Quest for Perfection” — which wasn’t as perfect as he’d hoped — and compared his players to scriptural heroes.
But what really got people going was last week when he announced he would have the word “Tradition,” “Spirit” or “Honor” on the backs of all jerseys.
A few hours later he hastily retreated, saying the names would only apply to the Homecoming game.
No truth to the rumor he’s planning on adding “Chaste,” “Benevolent” and “Virtuous” to the jerseys for 2014.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 89
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 38
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34