Tom Smart, Deseret News
DONE AND DONE
BYU football coach Bronco Mendenhall has done some offbeat things. He once had players carry slogan coins in their pockets for an entire season. He initiated the phrase “Quest for Perfection” — which wasn’t as perfect as he’d hoped — and compared his players to scriptural heroes.
But what really got people going was last week when he announced he would have the word “Tradition,” “Spirit” or “Honor” on the backs of all jerseys.
A few hours later he hastily retreated, saying the names would only apply to the Homecoming game.
No truth to the rumor he’s planning on adding “Chaste,” “Benevolent” and “Virtuous” to the jerseys for 2014.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double overtime...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between BYU...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Utes capped comeback season with lopsided Las...
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double... 97
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26