Utah football: Utes provide sneak peek into new football facility
Provided by Utah athletic media relations
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will showcase its new football performance facility to the media this Thursday, but in the meantime it has provided a short sneak peek of the new building behind the scenes.
The new 150,000-square-foot facility cost $32 million. Funds for the building were contributed by the Spencer F. and Cleone P. Eccles Family Foundation with additional major grants from the George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation and the Sorenson Legacy Foundation. Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith also is on the donor list — the 19,000-square-foot strength and conditioning center is named for him.
“Once again the Eccles family has gone the extra mile to help the University of Utah — and particularly Utah athletics — position itself among the great academic and athletic institutions in this country,” Utah athletic director Chris Hill said. “Spence and Cleone’s generosity helped to make this football center a reality and galvanized others to donate to this very critical piece of our football team’s future. We are thankful to the Eccles and all of the donors to this facility for their commitment to Utah athletics and our football program.”
“The Spence and Cleone Eccles Football Center demonstrates to recruits, players in the program, coaches and staff the commitment the University of Utah has to our football program,” head football coach Kyle Whittingham said. “This facility offers us the resources we need to compete in the Pac-12 Conference and nationally. We are deeply grateful to the Eccles, Sorensons and all of the boosters and former players who helped make this amazing facility a reality.”
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48