Dick Harmon: Will BYU kickers be strength or liability?
“I think we all benefit from each other being there,” said Sorensen. “It’s a relationship where there is competition and everyone is fighting for a spot, but you are also put in a kind of role as coach. We’re coaching each other and discuss how to get better. It makes the whole kicking game better.”
Sorensen said from not kicking at all in the offseason leading up to 2012 to kicking every day the past two months, it has made him “unbelievably confident” in the season — his words.
What about Samson?
“He’s the man,” said the senior. “Trevor likes it here. He’s got the highest score in the Book of Mormon class so far. He’s been a great asset to the team and he’s been very helpful to me, asking my why I’m doing this or that, telling me something might be a problem and to try something out. I’m glad to have him and it should be better from here on out.”
Samson said he’s enjoying Provo, his Walden Pond.
“It’s going great,” he said. “I’m enjoying being here for about a month. We are only trying to get better, and the competition will only help.” Samson made 85 percent of his field goals in junior college, plus he handled kickoff duties.
Will BYU’s kicking game be better in 2013? It needs to be. All those go-fast drives have to end up with something, if not TDs.
It must help that Sorensen is healthier and he has competition and support.
And he can always talk things over with his fellow kickers. You know, ponder life and the deeper matrix of the game.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 78
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 62
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20