Dick Harmon: Will BYU kickers be strength or liability?
“I think we all benefit from each other being there,” said Sorensen. “It’s a relationship where there is competition and everyone is fighting for a spot, but you are also put in a kind of role as coach. We’re coaching each other and discuss how to get better. It makes the whole kicking game better.”
Sorensen said from not kicking at all in the offseason leading up to 2012 to kicking every day the past two months, it has made him “unbelievably confident” in the season — his words.
What about Samson?
“He’s the man,” said the senior. “Trevor likes it here. He’s got the highest score in the Book of Mormon class so far. He’s been a great asset to the team and he’s been very helpful to me, asking my why I’m doing this or that, telling me something might be a problem and to try something out. I’m glad to have him and it should be better from here on out.”
Samson said he’s enjoying Provo, his Walden Pond.
“It’s going great,” he said. “I’m enjoying being here for about a month. We are only trying to get better, and the competition will only help.” Samson made 85 percent of his field goals in junior college, plus he handled kickoff duties.
Will BYU’s kicking game be better in 2013? It needs to be. All those go-fast drives have to end up with something, if not TDs.
It must help that Sorensen is healthier and he has competition and support.
And he can always talk things over with his fellow kickers. You know, ponder life and the deeper matrix of the game.
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: Both BYU and Cal have lots to...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- Utes vow not to look past Buffaloes
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- Utah lands three-star RB commit and... 25