Salt Lake consistently on interactive maps that show where languages other than English are spoken in U.S. homes
Screenshot from BuzzFeed.com
A new interactive, online map released Tuesday by the U.S. Census Bureau shows locations in the country where languages other than English are spoken at home. The report indicates Spanish is the most prevalent language (with 37.6 million U.S. speakers), followed by Chinese (2.9 million).
The report shows the 14 most prominent languages, other than English, spoken in the U.S. are Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog and Vietnamese. The greater Salt Lake area consistently appears on the various language maps, with varying numbers of dots each representing about 100 people speaking a language other than English at home.
BuzzFeed's link-off to the report says California has the highest percentage of people who speak a language other than English at home, with 44 percent.
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- New 'Annie' feels more functional than...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Black Captain America leading comic... 6
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 6
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 3
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2