Salt Lake consistently on interactive maps that show where languages other than English are spoken in U.S. homes
Screenshot from BuzzFeed.com
A new interactive, online map released Tuesday by the U.S. Census Bureau shows locations in the country where languages other than English are spoken at home. The report indicates Spanish is the most prevalent language (with 37.6 million U.S. speakers), followed by Chinese (2.9 million).
The report shows the 14 most prominent languages, other than English, spoken in the U.S. are Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog and Vietnamese. The greater Salt Lake area consistently appears on the various language maps, with varying numbers of dots each representing about 100 people speaking a language other than English at home.
BuzzFeed's link-off to the report says California has the highest percentage of people who speak a language other than English at home, with 44 percent.
- Understanding love, handling conflict, other...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- 13-year-old keeps dad alive after he was...
- Want your marriage to last? Have another child
- U.S. kids react — hilariously —...
- Intuition: The sweet spot between helicopter...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 15
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 13
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 10
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 6
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 5
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- The Clean Cut: 5-year-old British boy... 3