Salt Lake consistently on interactive maps that show where languages other than English are spoken in U.S. homes
Screenshot from BuzzFeed.com
A new interactive, online map released Tuesday by the U.S. Census Bureau shows locations in the country where languages other than English are spoken at home. The report indicates Spanish is the most prevalent language (with 37.6 million U.S. speakers), followed by Chinese (2.9 million).
The report shows the 14 most prominent languages, other than English, spoken in the U.S. are Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog and Vietnamese. The greater Salt Lake area consistently appears on the various language maps, with varying numbers of dots each representing about 100 people speaking a language other than English at home.
BuzzFeed's link-off to the report says California has the highest percentage of people who speak a language other than English at home, with 44 percent.
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- The Clean Cut: Toddler can't help but run to...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over faith;...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- If Pinterest makes you feel like a failure as...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 23
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 17
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6