Salt Lake consistently on interactive maps that show where languages other than English are spoken in U.S. homes
Screenshot from BuzzFeed.com
A new interactive, online map released Tuesday by the U.S. Census Bureau shows locations in the country where languages other than English are spoken at home. The report indicates Spanish is the most prevalent language (with 37.6 million U.S. speakers), followed by Chinese (2.9 million).
The report shows the 14 most prominent languages, other than English, spoken in the U.S. are Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog and Vietnamese. The greater Salt Lake area consistently appears on the various language maps, with varying numbers of dots each representing about 100 people speaking a language other than English at home.
BuzzFeed's link-off to the report says California has the highest percentage of people who speak a language other than English at home, with 44 percent.
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What accounts for the cinematic generation gap?
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- Dear mom on the iPhone: Let me tell you... 76
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- Erin Stewart: Prom dress modesty raises... 9
- Top reasons couples divorce... 4
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I... 3
- Wyoming ranked third in US in... 2
- Did the Internet kill April Fools' Day? 2
- The Clean Cut: Young string quartet... 1