Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has appointed Alan Matheson as the state planning coordinator.
Mike Mower, Herbert's deputy chief of staff, previously held the post in addition to other duties but will now focus on local municipality and county outreach for the governor. Matheson will continue to serve as the senior environmental adviser to Herbert.
"Long-term strategic planning and resource coordination is essential as we address growth, one of Utah's greatest challenges, and Alan has a strong portfolio in this arena," Herbert said. "In overseeing the development of our outdoor recreation vision and through his work on the Balanced Resource Council, Alan has consistently demonstrated the ability to bring diverse parties together and tackle challenging issues."
As state planning coordinator, Matheson will work with local and regional planning organizations throughout the state to update the Quality Growth Strategy. Issues to be addressed include water; mobility and urban form; cost of living and housing; air quality; energy, infrastructure and disaster resilience; natural lands, agriculture and recreation; economic development; and healthy living.
In addition, the state planning coordinator will continue to serve as a resource for Utah's communities.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 15