Wade Netto rushed for more than 1,000 yards as a sophomore last season, and big things are expected of him against this season. Kaydon Noyes is another junior running back with high expectations. Senior Jalen Hardy takes over at QB after sitting out last season, and his understanding of the wing-T offense has gotten better and better throughout the summer. Lucas O’Daniel will be a four-year starter on the offensive line, and coach Williamson praised the senior for his commitment to the program and realistically being an extension of the coaching staff on the field.
(7 returning starters)
The heart of the defense will be Noyes at linebacker and Netto at safety. Noyes missed nearly 90 percent of last season with injury, and his return will be a huge boost for the Tigers. Nose guard Douglas Hathaway is another player back this season after missing most of 2012 with injury. Hathaway’s return, along with standouts like O’Daniel, Cade Partridge and Gabe Thompson, give the Tigers a pretty formidable defensive front this season.
Coaches preseason 1A North straw poll: Fourth
Deseret News 1A North prediction: Fourth
Bottom line: Physically, Milford can finally compete at the varsity level, but winning football games at the varsity level is an entirely different challenge. The schedule is definitely set up nicely for Milford to be able to win roughly half its games, but the program doesn’t want to be defined as a team that beats JV teams. It wants to compete with the top teams in 1A, but that doesn’t happen overnight. Milford will no doubt be better this season, but it will definitely be an underdog in region games against Altamont, Duchesne and Rich.
Milford coaching history
2010-current — Brian Williamson (6-25)
2007-2009 — Robert Langston (8-24)
2000-2006 — Ricky Rose (22-51)
1999 — Daren Cheney (9-3)
1995-1998 — Robert Langston (14-23)
1994 — Franklin Bramall (9-2)
1993 — Mike Grajek (7-3)
1992 — Cleve Weaver (6-5)
1990-1991 — Brennan Jackson (18-4)
1986-1989 — Marvin Magalei (7-26)
1980-1985 — Kevin Barnes (25-28)
1978-1979 — Joe Hillock (2-13)
1977 — Dave Houle (1-7)
1976 — Monte Lee (2-6)
1973-1975 — Bob Andrus (9-20)
1968-1972 — unknown (13-28-2)
1967 — Dick Payne (0-7)
1964-1966 — Ivan Rowley (9-14-1)
1963 — unknown (3-4)
1962 — Jerry Davids (1-6)
1953-1961 — Lee Petty (22-39-3)
1949-1952 — unknown (3-19-2)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2011 — Mauricio Hernandez, WR/DB
2010 — Chad Netto, OL/LB
2009 — Jacob Idhe, QB/FS
2009 — Chris Manuele, OL/DL
2008 — Cade Boyter, RB/LB
2006 — Blake Williams, RB/LB
2003 — Damon Carter, OL/LB
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
Follow Deseret News prep editor James Edward on Twitter @DNewsPreps
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- 3A golf: Desert Hills comes from behind this...
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron productive for...
- Ultimate disc: High school championships...
- High school boys track: Clinger of Am.F....
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:... 3
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron... 2
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0
- 3A golf: Desert Hills comes from behind... 0