Ute football: Utah's new football facility to be dedicated Thursday
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — In the midst of a busy week of camp — featuring three double days and two scrimmages — a donor ribbon-cutting and private dedication of Utah’s new football facility will take place Thursday. The Utes moved into the new $32-million complex in early July, but the official pomp and circumstance to celebrate the move was held off until now because branding in the building was not complete.
Because the Utes are busy preparing for the season, there will be no public tours of the 120,000-square-foot facility at this time.
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham gives the complex a rave review.
“The best thing is everything about it,” he said, while reeling off amenities such as the training room, cafeteria, meeting rooms, offices and hall of fame. “ ... The whole thing is unbelievable. So I can’t pick out any one facet because it was all needed and everything in that building serves a purpose.”
QUICK STUDY: Utah concluded its first double day with an early-evening practice on Saturday. Whittingham said it wasn’t bad but noted that more can and will be accomplished in the six two-a-days that remain. The star of the initial second session was freshman quarterback Conner Manning, who got a lot of reps and threw the ball well.
“He’s a very talented kid,” said Whittingham. “(It’s) amazing how quickly that he’s picked up the entire offense. He has command of the entire offense — what, six days into camp? — which is pretty incredible.”
EXTRA POINTS: Whittingham said sophomore running back Jarrell Oliver, who injured his left foot in practice last week, will try to get back on the field this week or next to see if it responds. If it doesn’t, he could be facing some sort of surgery. ... KSL's Jeremiah Jensen wrote an inspirational story on Utah defensive end Trevor Reilly and his daughter Shayn’s battle with cancer on ksl.com. ... Whittingham announced that he will not comment on injuries after Thursday — once the season opener with USU is within two weeks. ... Wide receiver Dominique Hatfield had a nice catch in Saturday’s second practice. Whittingham noted that the true freshman from Los Angeles is fast and has great body control. “He’s doing some good things and he has progressed every single day,” said Whittingham.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20