Summer heat takes a toll on animals destined for county fairs
"There's always tragedy in life, and I think that those can be just as powerful, if not more powerful, of an educational experience for kids than actually making it to the show," Parent said. "Yes, there's some heartache, but if we as parents or adults take those opportunities to help the kids learn and grow from that tragedy, they'll be better people."
Jenson is confident many of the youth who found their animals wanting at county fairs can get them ready in time for the state fair, which runs Sept. 5 to 15 at the Utah State Fairpark.
"Almost all of them will make the state fair, it's just another opportunity later," he said. "It might make the state fair a little bit bigger."
Jeff Nemecek, a resident of Iola, Kansas, has judged livestock events at the Weber County Fair for several years. When he heard how many 100-degree days had hit Utah this summer, he wasn't surprised at the number of underweight animals.
"It really hammers those hogs," Nemecek said. "Hogs in particular, they can't sweat they just want to lay where its cool and they won't eat."
Overall, Nemecek had high praise for the quality of animals he saw after judging the hog show Thursday.
As the Weber County Fair wrapped up Saturday, Mark and Danny Edwards loaded up their hog, never having seen the auction ring. They plan to keep the meat for their family, and promise to back next year.
"I love that when you go to the fair there's lots of stuff to do, and it's fun to compete with the other kids and see what their pigs look like and how they act," Danny said. "I'll keep trying until I can get it right."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9