Dick Harmon: BYU's public scrimmage draws fans, higher expectations from Robert Anae
First, he wanted to get everyone lined up as fast as possible, get set, and get the ball hiked. Second, he wanted to look at the defense as quick as possible — to get his reads and make progressions — before making decisions. Third, he wanted to keep the ball moving downfield without turnovers.
In weeks to come, increased execution, especially bringing down some of those high throws seen Saturday and in the first week, will become a higher priority. But for now, Hill says other things come first. He doesn’t seem worried about his ability to be accurate.
“When I found out Anae was coming back and what the scheme would be and how we’d play fast, I was very excited,” said Hill. “This is the offense I played in high school and I’m very familiar with it and know it very well.”
So, head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his re-invited offensive coordinator have the first week logged. It appears it was all about effort, speed and building up the culture — albeit with a much publicized discussion about what to put on the back of jerseys.
Now it’s time for more serious strides.
This week will be about whittling down a depth chart and centering practices on those who will see playing time. The week after that, it will be focusing on the opener at Virginia.
Apparently, it’s a marathon.
And things will pick up when seniors with protected hammies are allowed to bring their hammers to work.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 78
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14