Dick Harmon: BYU's public scrimmage draws fans, higher expectations from Robert Anae
First, he wanted to get everyone lined up as fast as possible, get set, and get the ball hiked. Second, he wanted to look at the defense as quick as possible — to get his reads and make progressions — before making decisions. Third, he wanted to keep the ball moving downfield without turnovers.
In weeks to come, increased execution, especially bringing down some of those high throws seen Saturday and in the first week, will become a higher priority. But for now, Hill says other things come first. He doesn’t seem worried about his ability to be accurate.
“When I found out Anae was coming back and what the scheme would be and how we’d play fast, I was very excited,” said Hill. “This is the offense I played in high school and I’m very familiar with it and know it very well.”
So, head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his re-invited offensive coordinator have the first week logged. It appears it was all about effort, speed and building up the culture — albeit with a much publicized discussion about what to put on the back of jerseys.
Now it’s time for more serious strides.
This week will be about whittling down a depth chart and centering practices on those who will see playing time. The week after that, it will be focusing on the opener at Virginia.
Apparently, it’s a marathon.
And things will pick up when seniors with protected hammies are allowed to bring their hammers to work.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26