Dick Harmon: BYU's public scrimmage draws fans, higher expectations from Robert Anae
First, he wanted to get everyone lined up as fast as possible, get set, and get the ball hiked. Second, he wanted to look at the defense as quick as possible — to get his reads and make progressions — before making decisions. Third, he wanted to keep the ball moving downfield without turnovers.
In weeks to come, increased execution, especially bringing down some of those high throws seen Saturday and in the first week, will become a higher priority. But for now, Hill says other things come first. He doesn’t seem worried about his ability to be accurate.
“When I found out Anae was coming back and what the scheme would be and how we’d play fast, I was very excited,” said Hill. “This is the offense I played in high school and I’m very familiar with it and know it very well.”
So, head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his re-invited offensive coordinator have the first week logged. It appears it was all about effort, speed and building up the culture — albeit with a much publicized discussion about what to put on the back of jerseys.
Now it’s time for more serious strides.
This week will be about whittling down a depth chart and centering practices on those who will see playing time. The week after that, it will be focusing on the opener at Virginia.
Apparently, it’s a marathon.
And things will pick up when seniors with protected hammies are allowed to bring their hammers to work.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 61
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 24
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 23
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13