BYU football: Taysom Hill leads touchdown drive in Cougars' first scrimmage of fall camp
“It was fun to get a few extra kicks in a live situation,” Mendenhall said. “We’re trying to evaluate our kickers. We have three. The competition has been really close. It was great to put them in front of fans today and see what that did in terms of different situations.”
Overall, Mendenhall likes the way fall camp is going.
“I’m comfortable with the number of players we have,” he said. “I’m comfortable with the depth that we have. Execution and installation, I think we’re still 20 practices away from ending camp. A lot of work still to do. I like the talent; I like the pace; I like the consistency; and I like the execution. ... (We’re) probably ahead of where I thought we would be. But I would like to hear it sound differently, and look to be faster. Conditioning is still going to be a huge factor with the tempo.”
“We made a lot of really big plays offensively. We’ve made a lot of strides since the first day until where we are now,” Hill said of the first week of camp. “We’re going to keep that mentality to keep on getting better. We’ve got a couple of weeks before we play Virginia (on Aug. 31). With that same mentality, we’ll be ready to go.”
NOTES: Defensive back Michael Wadsworth turned in the defensive highlight of the day when he had a 30-yard pick-six against quarterback Jason Munns. Mendenhall said the two new offensive linemen that have shown the most through fall camp were D’Ondre Wesley and Brayden Kearsley.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15