Clint Austin, AP
PORTAGE, Box Elder County — A lightning-caused wildfire has grown to 11,000 acres, jumping north into Idaho, where it is marching through mountainous terrain filled with aspen stands, juniper and thick pine.
Jennifer Hansen, a spokesperson with the Utah Division of Fire, Forestry and State Lands, said the blaze is burning on mostly private property, but has impacted federally owned Bureau of Land Management lands in Idaho.
The fire, which began Thursday evening west of Portage, initially threatened a home and nine outbuildings, but was pushed back by crews. It is now approaching a cabin, she said, but firefighters are working to stop its progression.
Multiple resources have been called out to quell the blaze, including engines from Box Elder County and the U.S. Forest Service.
Hansen said two helicopter crews have also been assigned to the fire, as well as three bulldozers and seven water tenders. Two hand crews on the fire, with another crew that is en route.
Another blaze, the Cedar Fire, is burning west of the State Fire on the border of Idaho and Utah. It has charred 250 acres.
In the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest, a lightning strike ignited the Mount Elmer Fire Friday night. That blaze is in the Mount Naomi Wilderness and is being monitored, but not staffed because crews are already on higher priority fires elsewhere. It has burned about six acres.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: amyjoi16
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 46
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17