Clint Austin, AP
PORTAGE, Box Elder County — A lightning-caused wildfire has grown to 11,000 acres, jumping north into Idaho, where it is marching through mountainous terrain filled with aspen stands, juniper and thick pine.
Jennifer Hansen, a spokesperson with the Utah Division of Fire, Forestry and State Lands, said the blaze is burning on mostly private property, but has impacted federally owned Bureau of Land Management lands in Idaho.
The fire, which began Thursday evening west of Portage, initially threatened a home and nine outbuildings, but was pushed back by crews. It is now approaching a cabin, she said, but firefighters are working to stop its progression.
Multiple resources have been called out to quell the blaze, including engines from Box Elder County and the U.S. Forest Service.
Hansen said two helicopter crews have also been assigned to the fire, as well as three bulldozers and seven water tenders. Two hand crews on the fire, with another crew that is en route.
Another blaze, the Cedar Fire, is burning west of the State Fire on the border of Idaho and Utah. It has charred 250 acres.
In the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest, a lightning strike ignited the Mount Elmer Fire Friday night. That blaze is in the Mount Naomi Wilderness and is being monitored, but not staffed because crews are already on higher priority fires elsewhere. It has burned about six acres.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: amyjoi16
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- GOP primary in governor's race now focused on...
- Man killed in officer-involved shooting in...
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Utah Symphony gets standing ovation at N.Y.'s...
- Provo transit project set to begin, despite...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18
- FEC complaint filed against Chaffetz by... 16
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13