Coach: Clint Christiansen is entering his fifth season as Stansbury’s head coach, where he has led the Stallions to a 23-9 record. In 14 years of head coaching experience, he has accumulated a 70-67 overall record. Christiansen is a graduate of Granstville High.
(8 returning starters; triple option)
Coach Christiansen said the Stallions will continue to run the triple option, "and run it well," as evidenced by their standing as third-best offensive team in 3A last year, averaging 34.75 points per game. Senior quarterback Chase Christiansen returns to lead the potent squad, and he is surrounded by numerous experienced and interchangeable players, who can rotate through the offense as needed.
(8 returning starters)
The Stansbury defense allowed just 126 total points last season, an average of just 10.5 points per game and second only to Juan Diego. Coach Christiansen does not expect any less intensity out of his team this year. Allan Havili will again be a major presence on the defensive line, and Zayne Anderson and Tyler Jensen accounted for four and three interceptions, respectively, out of the team's 12 total picks in 2012.
Coaches preseason 3AA North straw poll: Second
Deseret News 3AA North prediction: First
Bottom line: The Stallions have every reason to be good again this season. However, the key for Stansbury to have a successful year and finally advance past the quarterfinals includes establishing an effective and consistent run game to allow the team to throw the ball more than it has in the past.
Stansbury coaching history
2009-present — Clint Christiansen (23-19)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2012 — Colton May, LB
2012 — Chase Christiansen, QB
2011 — Jeremy Cafe, DL
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
High school football: Stansbury Stallions 2013 preview
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24