Dick Harmon: BYU's offense remains under intense scrutiny in fall camp
Big plays? Receiver coach Guy Holliday compared the results to touching poison ivy. You get one bump, then, other bumps follow.
Anae needs a field of ivy.
This “confidence factor” or this so-called micro-elevation by the offense was visually measurable, like a switch flipped. You could see it faces and demeanor of key players like Hill and Williams.
“We are picking up on each other’s tendencies and gaining confidence in one another,” said Williams. “We are finding out how far we can push each other, trust each other.”
This is what makes Saturday’s practice so interesting, to see this kind of stuff develop in an offense. Hill is taking charge and those around him are reacting. No question, this will be met with equal intensity by the defense.
Williams can’t wait for hitting and deployment of full pads Saturday.
“The defense can do a lot when there’s just helmets on and little pads on, just a little touch is a tackle," he said, not trying to talk smack but kind of doing so.
“When pads come fully on, then it’s really on and we’ll see who is better in practice. Thing is, it is one more chance to get better,” said Williams.
Anae will find out more about this rebuilt offensive line and how far it has come and more of what is needed Saturday. The offense will face a motivated defense and I’d expect a lot of key players to be held out. Maybe Williams will only see a few reps as coaches continue to make depth chart evaluations.
But the O-line? The biggest question mark of the offense?
It remains the biggest factor at BYU's fall camp.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 44
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 41