Dick Harmon: BYU's offense remains under intense scrutiny in fall camp
Big plays? Receiver coach Guy Holliday compared the results to touching poison ivy. You get one bump, then, other bumps follow.
Anae needs a field of ivy.
This “confidence factor” or this so-called micro-elevation by the offense was visually measurable, like a switch flipped. You could see it faces and demeanor of key players like Hill and Williams.
“We are picking up on each other’s tendencies and gaining confidence in one another,” said Williams. “We are finding out how far we can push each other, trust each other.”
This is what makes Saturday’s practice so interesting, to see this kind of stuff develop in an offense. Hill is taking charge and those around him are reacting. No question, this will be met with equal intensity by the defense.
Williams can’t wait for hitting and deployment of full pads Saturday.
“The defense can do a lot when there’s just helmets on and little pads on, just a little touch is a tackle," he said, not trying to talk smack but kind of doing so.
“When pads come fully on, then it’s really on and we’ll see who is better in practice. Thing is, it is one more chance to get better,” said Williams.
Anae will find out more about this rebuilt offensive line and how far it has come and more of what is needed Saturday. The offense will face a motivated defense and I’d expect a lot of key players to be held out. Maybe Williams will only see a few reps as coaches continue to make depth chart evaluations.
But the O-line? The biggest question mark of the offense?
It remains the biggest factor at BYU's fall camp.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18