RIVERTON — The woman recently crowned Miss Riverton is facing four felony charges after her arrest last weekend.
Kendra McKenzie Gill, 18, was arrested after police said she and three other 18-year-olds threw homemade "bottle bombs" out of a moving car on the night of Aug. 2.
Gill was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with four counts of possession of an explosive device, all second-degree felonies.
Her three companions — Bryce Christopher Stone, of Riverton; John Patrick Reagh, of Draper; and Shanna Marie Smith, of Bluffdale — face the same charges.
Stone told investigators that the group made and threw the bombs to scare some of their friends, according to court documents.
They each threw a bomb onto the front lawn of one Riverton home, then they waited at a second location for two people to return home from a concert, charges state. When the pair arrived, each of the four people in the car threw a bomb in their direction, Stone told police.
Unified Fire Authority investigators found remnants of four water battles, aluminum foil and a chemical residue at each location, charges state. Witnesses reported hearing loud pops or bangs and saw the homemade bombs being thrown from a gray car as it sped away.
While the bombs may have been thrown simply to frighten people, Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Mecham said at the time that these kinds of homemade explosives can cause real harm.
"They can sever limbs, they can even kill people depending on what the chemical combinations are used," Mecham said. "This is very, very serious."
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for...
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid expansion...
- Gold medalist Maddie Bowman drops by Salt...
- Missionary killed in Sweden was inspiration...
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House...
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 48
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 38
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 31
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 28
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- Birth father rights the focus of two... 21
- 'Win-win solution' keeps Utah caucus... 20