Miss Riverton, three others charged with felony bomb possession
RIVERTON — The woman recently crowned Miss Riverton is facing four felony charges after her arrest last weekend.
Kendra McKenzie Gill, 18, was arrested after police said she and three other 18-year-olds threw homemade "bottle bombs" out of a moving car on the night of Aug. 2.
Gill was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with four counts of possession of an explosive device, all second-degree felonies.
Her three companions — Bryce Christopher Stone, of Riverton; John Patrick Reagh, of Draper; and Shanna Marie Smith, of Bluffdale — face the same charges.
Stone told investigators that the group made and threw the bombs to scare some of their friends, according to court documents.
They each threw a bomb onto the front lawn of one Riverton home, then they waited at a second location for two people to return home from a concert, charges state. When the pair arrived, each of the four people in the car threw a bomb in their direction, Stone told police.
Unified Fire Authority investigators found remnants of four water battles, aluminum foil and a chemical residue at each location, charges state. Witnesses reported hearing loud pops or bangs and saw the homemade bombs being thrown from a gray car as it sped away.
While the bombs may have been thrown simply to frighten people, Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Mecham said at the time that these kinds of homemade explosives can cause real harm.
"They can sever limbs, they can even kill people depending on what the chemical combinations are used," Mecham said. "This is very, very serious."
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Judge sets November hearing for ex-A.G.s Mark...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12