In the summer months, it is always nice to have something cool and light to eat. One of my favorite summertime recipes is my cucumber sandwich. They may seem like something you’d find only at a high-scale function or a royal tea party, but I love them for a tasty and simple dish on a hot afternoon or evening.
These sandwiches have become so popular with my friends and family that when they have special functions, I get asked to bring some along for the buffet — and they are always a hit. I slice off the crusts and cut them into fourths to make them look extra fancy, but they taste just as great without all that fuss.
With only a few simple ingredients, you too can dazzle your friends and family with a delicious and unique dish that is fit for royalty.
Belle’s Cucumber Sandwiches
Makes: 12 whole sandwiches
½ cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (.6 ounce) package dry Italian salad dressing mix
Wheat and white bread, 12 slices each
2 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced paper-thin
Beat together the Miracle Whip, cream cheese and dry salad dressing mix. Spread about a tablespoon of the mixture on each slice of bread.
Top half of the bread slices with the sliced cucumber, and then sprinkle with the dried dill. Top with the other slices of bread. You can cut off the crusts or leave them as is.
Makes 12-24 servings depending on if you serve them as appetizers or sandwiches.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- BYU Museum of Art honors National Park...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Book review: 3 recent books share aspects of...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Bountiful Handcart Days Parade brings...
- Honoring the past: Things to do in Utah this...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 19
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu... 4
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 3
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- Bountiful Handcart Days Parade brings... 1
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1