Police arrest man charged with rape, impersonating officer
Suspect was kidnapped when 9 years old, police confirm
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man charged with raping a woman he met through a dating service and impersonating a police officer has been arrested.
CJ Christiansen, 28, was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court with rape, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary and forcible sodomy, all first-degree felonies; as well as forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony; and impersonating a peace officer, a class B misdemeanor. A warrant was issued then for his arrest.
Thursday, West Valley police's special investigations unit received information that he was staying at a Salt Lake-area motel, said Sgt. Jason Hauer. By 5:45 p.m., investigators located a vehicle registered to one of Christiansen's family members parked at the Best Western, 280 W. 7200 South.
After setting up surveillance on the motel, Christiansen eventually walked out and was arrested without incident, Hauer said.
Christiansen is accused of raping a woman he met through a telephonic dating service on July 1, according to court records.
After going to the woman's house, Christiansen claimed he was a police officer and was going to arrest her for prostitution, Hauer said. He handcuffed his victim and told her she was under arrest, but then said he could "work with her" before he sexually assaulted her, charging documents state.
Christiansen allegedly raped the woman and told her he needed cash to take back to his supervisor. The woman called 911 immediately after he left.
In 1994 when Christiansen was 9, he was in the news when he was kidnapped by a convicted child molester who took him from his grandmother's West Valley neighborhood to Idaho.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 90
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 34
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- Gov. Gary Herbert's 'big change' over... 22