Police arrest man charged with rape, impersonating officer
Suspect was kidnapped when 9 years old, police confirm
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man charged with raping a woman he met through a dating service and impersonating a police officer has been arrested.
CJ Christiansen, 28, was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court with rape, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary and forcible sodomy, all first-degree felonies; as well as forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony; and impersonating a peace officer, a class B misdemeanor. A warrant was issued then for his arrest.
Thursday, West Valley police's special investigations unit received information that he was staying at a Salt Lake-area motel, said Sgt. Jason Hauer. By 5:45 p.m., investigators located a vehicle registered to one of Christiansen's family members parked at the Best Western, 280 W. 7200 South.
After setting up surveillance on the motel, Christiansen eventually walked out and was arrested without incident, Hauer said.
Christiansen is accused of raping a woman he met through a telephonic dating service on July 1, according to court records.
After going to the woman's house, Christiansen claimed he was a police officer and was going to arrest her for prostitution, Hauer said. He handcuffed his victim and told her she was under arrest, but then said he could "work with her" before he sexually assaulted her, charging documents state.
Christiansen allegedly raped the woman and told her he needed cash to take back to his supervisor. The woman called 911 immediately after he left.
In 1994 when Christiansen was 9, he was in the news when he was kidnapped by a convicted child molester who took him from his grandmother's West Valley neighborhood to Idaho.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- Are 'calm' South Jordan burglars tied to...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 68
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 46
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 36
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13