2013 high school football preview: Loaded Emery Spartans in good situation while making jump from 2A to 3A
Any coach would be thrilled to have five returning starters on the offensive line, and that’s exactly what Emery has in 2013. Duncan Thomas and Zac West are the leaders of the group, while Derrick Dawes, Slayde Childs and Carson Healy are all really good too. The Spartans averaged 35 points behind that offensive line last year, and new quarterback Bailey Faimalo hopes to continue that productivity this season.
(7 returning starters)
The same five starters who return on the offensive line are also returning contributors on the defense. Stopping the run wasn’t really Emery's strong suit last year, but that will need to change for the Spartans to compete against increased competition in 3A. Childs was the leading tackler among the group last year, and even bigger things are expected this year. Emery must replace the bulk of its linebacking corps from a year ago, but with Dawes and Marco Mota, it has a good foundation to build from.
Coaches preseason 3A North straw poll: Fifth
Deseret News 3A North prediction: Fourth
Bottom line: With the same core of players the past two years, Emery has improved each season. Regardless of the jump to 3A, that trend should continue this season as the team leans heavily on a great group of returning starters. Three of Emery’s first four games are on the road, but all are winnable. Week 5 will be the ultimate measuring stick for this team when it hosts 3A’s top-ranked team, Morgan. That game will likely set the tone for the rest of the season, which Emery hopes ultimately results in a playoff berth.
Emery coaching history
2006-Current — Jim Jones (second stint, 39-38)
2003-2005 — Kevin Reynolds (5-26)
1987-2002 — Jim Jones (106-63)
1985-1986 — Greg Cook (10-10)
1983-1984 — Dean Nelson (3-15)
1978-1982 — Layne Moody (13-34)
1976-1977 — Unknown (4-16)
1974-1975 — Paul Clark (6-12)
1972-1973 — Bob Steele (1-16)
1971 — Unknown (6-3)
1970 — Stilson (8-3)
1967-1969 — Unknown (15-13)
1965-1966 — Ray Butcher (8-8)
1963-1964 — Douglas Hunt (8-9)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2012 — David Dyer, RB/LB
2011 — Cory Cox, RB/LB
2007 — Wade Bohn, OL
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
Follow Deseret News prep editor James Edward on Twitter @DNewsPreps
- Cougars in the pros: Lasike scores first pro...
- BYU football: Suspensions impacting both BYU...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to win...
- Brad Rock: Utes to Harbaugh: Update your...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Utah Utes report card: Harbaugh, Michigan...
- Nebraska looking to set tone of Mike Riley...
- Special teams makes big plays as Utah State...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to... 110
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 80
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 72
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 43
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Brad Rock: Take expletives, not... 35
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 30