Rape suspect found, arrested in Salt Lake City after being erroneously released

Published: Thursday, Aug. 8 2013 3:10 p.m. MDT

SALT LAKE CITY — Police worked through the night before successfully locating and arresting a man accused of rape who was erroneously released from Salt Lake County Jail on Wednesday.

Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder said officers with the Unified Police Major Investigations Unit found Anthony S. Moultry, 27, on Thursday morning.

"We again want to apologize to the community but also want to assure them that when we promise we will capture these individuals, we mean it," Winder said. "And I'm extremely proud and thankful for our members that worked so diligently to do so."

Moultry was located around 10 a.m. near 300 East and 400 South, Unified Police Sgt. Cammie Skogg said. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail following his arrest.

Moultry was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court with rape, a first-degree felony, and burglary, a second-degree felony. He was also charged with theft and lewdness, both class B misdemeanors.

The man is accused of forcing his way into a woman's Murray home on Aug. 3, restraining her and raping her. He also took $100, according to charging documents. The woman reported that she later realized he had also taken her wallet.

Police found the woman's wallet in a Dumpster near Moultry's residence, not far from the woman's home, the charges state.

The alleged victim talked Thursday with the Deseret News, saying she wanted to encourage other victims — of Moultry or otherwise — to come forward.

"The police will be there for you," the 58-year-old woman said Thursday. "There's a place they can call. You've got to come forward. … I'm sure this is not the first time he's done this. I'm absolutely positive that had I not grabbed part of whatever soul he had left, he, I felt, was getting ready to stab me in the back."

The woman said she met Moultry in their neighborhood a few weeks before the alleged assault when he stopped her to introduce himself and his wife.

On Aug. 3, she said he showed up at her home while she was in her yard, tried to start a conversation and kept putting headphones on her and asking her to listen to some music he recorded. She said she tried to distract him and make excuses in the hope he would leave, but Moultry hung around.

"I could just start to feel there's something going on really wrong here," she said.

The woman said the man kept asking to see her bedroom before forcing his way into the room and beginning to assault her. She said she was screaming loudly and was sure someone would hear her.

"I'm in shock," she said. "I'm in total, absolute shock, because I really thought somebody would be able to hear me, but as it proceeded, it was like nobody can hear me."

The woman said she repeatedly asked him not to hurt her and promised she wouldn't tell anyone what had happened. She told him to work on his marriage and his music, and eventually the man took the money and left.

Moultry was booked into jail the day of the alleged assault but was accidentally released about 10:15 a.m. Wednesday.

Winder said the man's wife, Rainey Moultry, 44, assisted her husband in avoiding capture and that the couple was working on a plan to leave the area but were slowed by "limited means."

Rainey Moultry was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of obstruction of justice, according to a jail report.

"We want people to know, if you facilitate people's flight from justice, we will go after you," Winder said.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere