Real Salt Lake report card: Nick Rimando strong in Open Cup semifinal victory
Real Salt Lake played Portland Wednesday night in front of 14,742 pumped-up fans at Rio Tinto Stadium, with Portland's rowdy road contingent making almost as much noise as the RSL faithful. Jason Kreis has always put an emphasis on the Open Cup, especially as a way forward to the Champion's League, but mostly because he's just a massive competitor.
The game had the feel of a playoff, and both teams put out one of the more enjoyable matches to watch this season. RSL came out on top with one Alvaro Sabrio goal and another from Joao Plata, versus one Diego Valeri goal for Portland. RSL will play in the Open Cup final Oct. 1 against DC United, which beat Chicago Wednesday night, 2-0.
Chris Higbee is the general manager of DeseretNews.com and occasionally writes about Real Salt Lake, among other things.
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22