TOOELE — The search resumed Tuesday for a Tooele woman who has been missing for a week.
Jane Ashby, 62, was last seen walking out of her house about 10:45 a.m. on July 31 and then driving off in her car, allegedly to go to a work-related meeting. But Ashby never showed up at work and her family later found out there was no meeting that day and her co-workers were not expecting her.
Ashby's family knows there's a possibility that their loved one left to commit suicide. But they want to find her, either before it's too late or so they can have closure.
"We still have to find her," said her daughter, Michelle Ashby. "All of her family are just in agony of not knowing what happened."
Jane Ashby had been fighting depression, compounded by a recent accident that left her with stitches in her cheek and the death of her husband from cancer in December. The only purchase made on any of Ashby's credit cards since she disappeared were Drano and bleach at the Tooele Wal-Mart. The combination of the chemicals creates a poisonous gas.
Rather than her prescribed medications, the only drug Ashby took with her was a large bottle of Ambien, her daughter said.
Her mother's phone was last traced to the Draper area on Wednesday night and Thursday, and American Fork on Thursday night before its battery ran out. Michelle Ashby does not know of any friends or relatives her mother has in those areas.
She was last seen wearing jeans and a button-down shirt left unbuttoned over the top of a T-shirt. Jane Ashby is about 5 feet 2 inches tall, weighs 150 pounds and wears glasses. She was last seen driving a 2011 red Ford Escape with Utah license plate B338RG.
Michelle Ashby said her family has been "numb" and in shock since her mother disappeared. "We love her and we just want to find her."
Anyone with information on her whereabouts is asked to contact their local police department.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 57
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 40
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- School leaders look for solutions to... 22
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12