TOOELE — The search resumed Tuesday for a Tooele woman who has been missing for a week.
Jane Ashby, 62, was last seen walking out of her house about 10:45 a.m. on July 31 and then driving off in her car, allegedly to go to a work-related meeting. But Ashby never showed up at work and her family later found out there was no meeting that day and her co-workers were not expecting her.
Ashby's family knows there's a possibility that their loved one left to commit suicide. But they want to find her, either before it's too late or so they can have closure.
"We still have to find her," said her daughter, Michelle Ashby. "All of her family are just in agony of not knowing what happened."
Jane Ashby had been fighting depression, compounded by a recent accident that left her with stitches in her cheek and the death of her husband from cancer in December. The only purchase made on any of Ashby's credit cards since she disappeared were Drano and bleach at the Tooele Wal-Mart. The combination of the chemicals creates a poisonous gas.
Rather than her prescribed medications, the only drug Ashby took with her was a large bottle of Ambien, her daughter said.
Her mother's phone was last traced to the Draper area on Wednesday night and Thursday, and American Fork on Thursday night before its battery ran out. Michelle Ashby does not know of any friends or relatives her mother has in those areas.
She was last seen wearing jeans and a button-down shirt left unbuttoned over the top of a T-shirt. Jane Ashby is about 5 feet 2 inches tall, weighs 150 pounds and wears glasses. She was last seen driving a 2011 red Ford Escape with Utah license plate B338RG.
Michelle Ashby said her family has been "numb" and in shock since her mother disappeared. "We love her and we just want to find her."
Anyone with information on her whereabouts is asked to contact their local police department.
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Sandy man gets prison time in $1.5 million...
- New Salt Lake fire chief caught in political...
- Larry H. Miller family pulls Tooele County...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's refusal to...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 36
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 20
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12