Logo wars: BYU's logo ranked fourth-best nationally by Athlon Sports; Utah's ninth in the Pac-12
Tom Smart, Deseret News
When it comes to marketability, BYU is winning the battle with rival Utah, according to one national publication.
With the start of the 2013 college football season in three weeks, Athlon Sports ranked the best and worst logos in the sport.
The Cougars ranked fourth nationally in the best category. Athlon Sports art director Matt Taliaferro and writer Braden Gall cite BYU's Stretch Y logo as one of the "most recognizable in college sports."
"There is some creativity in the 'Y' font and the inverted color scheme works very well on helmets, merchandise and the like," Gall wrote.
The top three teams on the list were Texas, Clemson and Georgia. North Carolina came in at No. 5.
The Longhorns took the top spot because, Athlon said, their logo is "classic, simple, unchanging, but also unique and creative."
The five worst logos in college football, from the BCS conferences, included Oregon State, Northwestern, South Carolina, Kansas and Texas Tech.
Athlon also ranked the logos from the Pac-12, and Utah came in ninth. While Utah was praised for the block U and incorporating Ute Nation into the logo, the Utes lost points because "the circle has an outdated helmet feel to it."
"An upgrade could make this pop," Gall wrote.
The top three in the Pac-12 included Washington — which ranked eighth nationally — UCLA and Stanford.
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 105
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 31
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 27
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 26
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 16