Logo wars: BYU's logo ranked fourth-best nationally by Athlon Sports; Utah's ninth in the Pac-12
Tom Smart, Deseret News
When it comes to marketability, BYU is winning the battle with rival Utah, according to one national publication.
With the start of the 2013 college football season in three weeks, Athlon Sports ranked the best and worst logos in the sport.
The Cougars ranked fourth nationally in the best category. Athlon Sports art director Matt Taliaferro and writer Braden Gall cite BYU's Stretch Y logo as one of the "most recognizable in college sports."
"There is some creativity in the 'Y' font and the inverted color scheme works very well on helmets, merchandise and the like," Gall wrote.
The top three teams on the list were Texas, Clemson and Georgia. North Carolina came in at No. 5.
The Longhorns took the top spot because, Athlon said, their logo is "classic, simple, unchanging, but also unique and creative."
The five worst logos in college football, from the BCS conferences, included Oregon State, Northwestern, South Carolina, Kansas and Texas Tech.
Athlon also ranked the logos from the Pac-12, and Utah came in ninth. While Utah was praised for the block U and incorporating Ute Nation into the logo, the Utes lost points because "the circle has an outdated helmet feel to it."
"An upgrade could make this pop," Gall wrote.
The top three in the Pac-12 included Washington — which ranked eighth nationally — UCLA and Stanford.
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 168
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 73
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 47
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 32
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20