Herriman mayor resigns, citing new time constraints
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
HERRIMAN — Herriman Mayor Joshua E. Mills will resign from his post Saturday, Aug. 10, due to new time constraints that have limited the time he can spend attending to his mayoral duties.
Mills made the announcement Monday, said city spokeswoman Tami Moody. Mills' mayoral position is part time and "new circumstances and opportunities" with his job in the insurance industry led to the changes, she said.
Mills' employer sold the company to a new owner, leading to changes in his job requirements and additional time constraints. That and other factors, including Mills' decision to return to school, prompted him to step down, Moody said.
“The people of Herriman deserve to have a mayor that is better able to attend to the needs of Herriman," Mills said in a prepared statement.
Mills had served as mayor since 2010 and focused on responsible spending, economic development and guiding the city as it has grown, according to Moody.
A mayor pro tem will be selected from members of the Herriman City Council. The mayor pro tem will serve for 30 days while the council looks for and selects an interim mayor.
"That individual will fill the unexpired term of the mayoral office until January 2014, following the municipal election," Moody said.
A notice of vacancy will be announced Monday, at which point those interested in the mayor position can submit a letter of intent and resume. The deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. on Aug. 26.
All applicants will then be interviewed in an open meeting on Aug. 29. The City Council will then appoint an interim mayor. Those seeking additional information can contact Herriman City at 801-446-5323.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10