Herriman mayor resigns, citing new time constraints
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
HERRIMAN — Herriman Mayor Joshua E. Mills will resign from his post Saturday, Aug. 10, due to new time constraints that have limited the time he can spend attending to his mayoral duties.
Mills made the announcement Monday, said city spokeswoman Tami Moody. Mills' mayoral position is part time and "new circumstances and opportunities" with his job in the insurance industry led to the changes, she said.
Mills' employer sold the company to a new owner, leading to changes in his job requirements and additional time constraints. That and other factors, including Mills' decision to return to school, prompted him to step down, Moody said.
“The people of Herriman deserve to have a mayor that is better able to attend to the needs of Herriman," Mills said in a prepared statement.
Mills had served as mayor since 2010 and focused on responsible spending, economic development and guiding the city as it has grown, according to Moody.
A mayor pro tem will be selected from members of the Herriman City Council. The mayor pro tem will serve for 30 days while the council looks for and selects an interim mayor.
"That individual will fill the unexpired term of the mayoral office until January 2014, following the municipal election," Moody said.
A notice of vacancy will be announced Monday, at which point those interested in the mayor position can submit a letter of intent and resume. The deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. on Aug. 26.
All applicants will then be interviewed in an open meeting on Aug. 29. The City Council will then appoint an interim mayor. Those seeking additional information can contact Herriman City at 801-446-5323.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- Bingham High students walk out over... 17
- Debates ready to start, third-party... 12