Attorney General John Swallow 'blown away' by Utah House investigation
First-of-its-kind panel should expect to be sued, attorney warns
"You're making history," Fellows said. "There really hasn't been anything like this investigative committee before."
Maryann Martindale, executive director of the Alliance for Better Utah, expressed frustration at the investigation's slow pace. Better Utah filed a complaint with the state alleging Swallow broke state campaign finance laws. It also alleges professional misconduct in a Utah State Bar complaint.
"It's just dragging on," she said. "He's being investigated every which way and it just continues to erode the public trust."
Swallow is under investigation at several levels of government.
The Department of Justice Public Integrity Section is investigating Swallow's relationship with indicted St. George online marketer Jeremy Johnson and imprisoned businessman Marc Sessions Jenson.
Johnson claims Swallow helped broker an attempt to bribe a U.S. senator to thwart a federal investigation into Johnson's Internet company. Jenson contends Swallow sought a stake in a failed luxury resort project in exchange for favorable treatment by the attorney general's office.
"Why is the media and the Legislature giving so much credence to allegations of these types of people?" Swallow said.
In addition to the DOJ, Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill and Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings are conducting a joint investigation into Swallow and his predecessor Mark Shurtleff.
The lieutenant governor's office hired the law firm Snell & Wilmer to look into whether Swallow broke state campaign finance laws. The first-term Republican also is the subject of two Utah State Bar complaints.
Twitter: dennisromboy; DNewsPolitics
- New allegation: John Swallow asked for $120K...
- Snowstorm makes travel tricky along Wasatch...
- Funeral plans set for BYU student, LDS...
- Davis High teacher faces rape charges
- Ad campaign targets proposed Utah...
- Family of child who survived abuse raises...
- Ex-Attorney General John Swallow deliberately...
- Search warrant reveals possible charges...
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for... 80
- Ad campaign targets proposed Utah... 34
- Minimum wage debate rages on 24
- New allegation: John Swallow asked for... 23
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a... 21
- Ex-Attorney General John Swallow... 19
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher... 17
- State GOP Central Committee chooses... 16