Attorney General John Swallow 'blown away' by Utah House investigation
First-of-its-kind panel should expect to be sued, attorney warns
"You're making history," Fellows said. "There really hasn't been anything like this investigative committee before."
Maryann Martindale, executive director of the Alliance for Better Utah, expressed frustration at the investigation's slow pace. Better Utah filed a complaint with the state alleging Swallow broke state campaign finance laws. It also alleges professional misconduct in a Utah State Bar complaint.
"It's just dragging on," she said. "He's being investigated every which way and it just continues to erode the public trust."
Swallow is under investigation at several levels of government.
The Department of Justice Public Integrity Section is investigating Swallow's relationship with indicted St. George online marketer Jeremy Johnson and imprisoned businessman Marc Sessions Jenson.
Johnson claims Swallow helped broker an attempt to bribe a U.S. senator to thwart a federal investigation into Johnson's Internet company. Jenson contends Swallow sought a stake in a failed luxury resort project in exchange for favorable treatment by the attorney general's office.
"Why is the media and the Legislature giving so much credence to allegations of these types of people?" Swallow said.
In addition to the DOJ, Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill and Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings are conducting a joint investigation into Swallow and his predecessor Mark Shurtleff.
The lieutenant governor's office hired the law firm Snell & Wilmer to look into whether Swallow broke state campaign finance laws. The first-term Republican also is the subject of two Utah State Bar complaints.
Twitter: dennisromboy; DNewsPolitics
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions... 63
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18