2013 high school football preview: Corner Canyon Chargers ready to compete in first year
“We have a bit of a spread offense here, which is what they run dominantly at Alta, and so you can take some of those abilities from that offense over here,” Ogden said.
Cole Parkinson, who Eck tabbed as “smaller and a little faster” and an “outside runner,” will spell Ogden throughout the game. Jacob Kunkel, a third-down back, and Tyson Rogers will also see action in the backfield.
During a recent practice the defensive secondary dictated the pace with athleticism and visible speed — ultimately snagging three interceptions. Currently the defense is vastly ahead of the offense, but that’s expected at this point in the season.
“The skill guys from day one in this group have been fabulous,” Eck said. “We do have speed and athletic guys. That’s kind of the strong suit.”
Similar to the offense, the Chargers aren't overwhelmed with any one formation defensively, but rotate typical four- and three-down fronts.
Coaches preseason Region 7 straw poll: Sixth
Deseret News Region 7 prediction: Sixth
Bottom line: Optimism is never a deterrent quality in a football program. As Ogden put it: “You always got to go into the season thinking you can win (every game).” But, realism is also an enduring trait. Corner Canyon has talent scattered intermittently, but piecing it together doesn’t occur overnight. For instance, Syracuse posted a 0-10 record in its first year in 2007. The following season, the Titans improved to 10-3 and advanced to the 5A semifinals. The Chargers are swarmed with underclassmen juggling aspects of learning a new system with learning how to play at the varsity level. Expect the program to at least be competitive, but cuts and bruises are inevitable.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Magic happens: Former BYU receiver Austin...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 55
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 40
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 25
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 21