"HEROES OF FAITH: True Stories of Courage and Strength," by Marlene Bateman Sullivan, Cedar Fort, $15.99, 148 pages (nf)
Heroes aren't born; they are created through courageous acts under difficult circumstances.
That's the message illustrated in Marlene Bateman Sullivan's new book, "Heroes of Faith: True Stories of Courage and Strength."
The book is described as "a collection of 24 remarkable stories of stalwart men and women who stood firm and valiant in the gospel despite dangerous mobs, flying bullets, physical handicaps, extreme hardships and dictatorial regimes."
The 24 stories are broken down into four sections of six chapters. The four sections are titled "Steadfast Heroes," "Missionary Heroes," "Challenged Heroes" and "War-Time Heroes."
The book includes tales from the early history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Sullivan hopes readers discover that the simple courage that creates heroes is something you already have in your life. As you read, the book says, you will realize the potential of your own testimony to help you become a hero.
Sullivan, a Utah native, is a graduate of the University of Utah with a bachelor’s degree in English. She is married to Kelly R. Sullivan and they are the parents of seven children. Sullivan has been published extensively in magazines and newspapers and has written a number of non-fiction books, including "Latter-day Saint Heroes and Heroines, Vol. 1"; "Latter-day Saint Heroes and Heroines, Vol. 2"; "And There Were Angels Among Them"; "Visits From Beyond the Veil"; "By the Ministering of Angels"; "Brigham’s Boys"; and "Gaze Into Heaven."
For more information about the book and the author, visit blog.cedarfort.com.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 89
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 49
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 27
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 21
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 18
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 12