Utes football: Utes not where Coach Whit wants them to be on opening day of fall camp
“I thought it was good. I thought our tempo was good offensively,” he said. “It’s great when you put something in — in the spring — and now they come back and the memory of what we were doing was really good. We probably could have run our whole offense today with the first couple of groups.”
Erickson added that the tempo and what the offense did at the line of scrimmage in the first practice was a carryover from the spring.
Senior defensive end Trevor Reilly also liked some of the things he saw on opening day — noting it was exciting and the weather was great.
“It was awesome,” said Reilly, who added that his surgically repaired knee felt great and he didn’t even thing about it.
Utah camp report
Day 1: The Utes opened their NCAA-mandated five-day “acclimatization” period with helmets and shorts Monday morning. A similar session is scheduled for Tuesday at Ute Field. (All practices are closed to the public.)
Standouts: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said the quarterbacks looked sharp. He also noted the play of running back Troy McCormick, defensive tackle Sese Ianu, defensive tackle Tenny Palepoi and left tackle Jeremiah Poutasi.
Injuries: Players in “The Pit” included offensive lineman Carlos Lozano and wide receiver Andre Lewis.
Overhead: “We’re going to be more up-tempo this year.”
— Utah coach Kyle Whittingham
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- BYU football: Baker Pritchard discusses...
- Dick Harmon: Many expect Jabari Parker to...
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke scores career high in...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 51
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 50
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 45
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 38
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24