Utes football: Utes not where Coach Whit wants them to be on opening day of fall camp
“I thought it was good. I thought our tempo was good offensively,” he said. “It’s great when you put something in — in the spring — and now they come back and the memory of what we were doing was really good. We probably could have run our whole offense today with the first couple of groups.”
Erickson added that the tempo and what the offense did at the line of scrimmage in the first practice was a carryover from the spring.
Senior defensive end Trevor Reilly also liked some of the things he saw on opening day — noting it was exciting and the weather was great.
“It was awesome,” said Reilly, who added that his surgically repaired knee felt great and he didn’t even thing about it.
Utah camp report
Day 1: The Utes opened their NCAA-mandated five-day “acclimatization” period with helmets and shorts Monday morning. A similar session is scheduled for Tuesday at Ute Field. (All practices are closed to the public.)
Standouts: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said the quarterbacks looked sharp. He also noted the play of running back Troy McCormick, defensive tackle Sese Ianu, defensive tackle Tenny Palepoi and left tackle Jeremiah Poutasi.
Injuries: Players in “The Pit” included offensive lineman Carlos Lozano and wide receiver Andre Lewis.
Overhead: “We’re going to be more up-tempo this year.”
— Utah coach Kyle Whittingham
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Illuminating: Utah Olympic gold medalist...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- Brad Rock: Zealous RSL fans 'Goin' Coconuts'...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 194
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 55
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 51
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 45