Dick Harmon: Can Bronson Kaufusi deliver in post-Ziggy Ansah vacuum?
On Monday, Michelle had just finished a swim class when she got a text from Bronson asking if she was coming to watch his practice. He was so fired up, so excited, she texted back and accused him of acting like a 12-year-old.
“That kid has always had so much energy from the second he was born. He’s so loving and it’s like he just fills the room with energy, excitement and his spirit,” said Michelle.
Steve and Michelle got married later in life when Steve was playing in the NFL. When Michelle was pregnant with their first child Alexis, Steve came across the name Bronson, which means "son of the dark one." Since Steve is Tongan and Michelle is white, he liked that name because he was the dark one, according to Michelle.
Alexis was supposed to be named Bronson until the parents found out she was a girl and then it was saved for the next one, which was the son, the second child.
If hard work counts for something, he’s more than making up for a lot of lost time.
He did 51 segments of the beep test, a commonly used running aerobic fitness test that has decreasing timed intervals of 22-yard shuttle sprints back and fourth. To give you an idea of how good that was, former NFL running back Fahu Tahi, who weighed 40 pounds lighter, did 60 at BYU. Doing 51 segments is about the average of what members of BYU’s soccer team do, according to Bronson.
The past five months have been like no other for the sophomore. He’s never had this kind of time to prepare his body for football.
“I’ve actually had time to train, so I’ve taken advantage of it so I can have the season I want it to be,” said Kaufusi.
He admits he’s found more energy, more drive, and more motivation than any time in his life.
And he’s ready.
In the post-Ziggy era at BYU, that is a good thing.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30