High school football: South Summit, Millard favored in revamped 2A North
6. AMERICAN LEADERSHIP: After six years as an assistant, new coach Chas Ryan is excited about getting the Eagles’ program headed in the right direction. With six returning starters on offense and five on defense, he has a good foundation to start with. Junior Hunter Smith will start at QB after finishing last season as a starter, and running back Lincoln Henderson is also returning. Both should benefit from a trio of returning offensive linemen, Jake Atwood, Jake Staley and Mike Monson. Last season ALA ended the year with just 20 healthy players, but this season Ryan hopes those numbers are closer to 45 when the season kicks off Aug. 23. 2012 RECORD: 2-7. PLAYOFFS: Did not qualify for 2A playoffs.
7. LAYTON CHRISTIAN: The Eagles are making the jump to 2A this year, and they’ll also be running a new offense as first-year coach Doyle Holt is installing a West Cost offense. Playing time at quarterback will likely be split between senior Ayan Burton and sophomore Grayson Jackson. Both are great athletes in basketball and baseball, but they have little to no experience playing football. There’s a bit of experience on the line to help with the QB transition as juniors Garrett Elmy and Josh Nistler are both returning starters. Marquis Gibson and Jack Chandler will be the primary offensive weapons, and both are a threat running the ball and catching it. Defensively, Holt hopes to employ an aggressive 4-3 defense, and he’ll rely heavily on nose guard Sam Rockwell. 2012 RECORD: 3-7. PLAYOFFS: Did not qualify for 1A playoffs.
Follow Deseret News prep editor James Edward on Twitter @DNewsPreps
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 86
- Amy Donaldson: Recent hearings on rules... 9
- High school football: 2016 schedules... 5
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 3
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 1
- Skyridge High School 2016 football... 0