BYU recruiting: Cougars receive a commitment from Syracuse defensive back Kavika Fonua
SYRACUSE — BYU's first practice session of the fall included some big recruiting news for the program. Syracuse defensive back prospect Kavika Fonua visited the BYU practice with his family and informed coaches that he was committed to sign with them come February.
Fonua is a 6-foot, 200-pound defensive back prospect who gained interest this summer after some standout performances at national camps and combines. The Syracuse product recorded consistent sub 4.5 forty times and was met with offers from BYU and from Utah over the summer.
“I really love everything about the school and the program," Fonua said shortly after BYU offered. "I’m LDS, and I have definite plans to serve a mission, so I fit in well there, and I’d love the opportunity to play for a program like BYU. I love the coaches.”
Fonua will be a senior this year and has plans to serve a mission for the LDS Church before enrolling at BYU.
When he returns, he should prove a credit to BYU's program.
"He's a very hard worker and completely dedicated to getting better as a player," said Syracuse coach Russ Jones. "It's a thrill for me as a coach whenever one of my players gets an opportunity to play for a program like BYU, and he'll do outstanding there. He's the type of kid who does anything you ask of him."
Fonua will likely play safety while at BYU, but could play any number of positions according to Jones.
"He could play running back, corner, safety and even linebacker at the next level," Jones said. "He's made himself into a really great player, and I think he'll only continue working and make himself into an outstanding college player."
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 88
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 53
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 9