BYU recruiting: Cougars receive a commitment from Syracuse defensive back Kavika Fonua
SYRACUSE — BYU's first practice session of the fall included some big recruiting news for the program. Syracuse defensive back prospect Kavika Fonua visited the BYU practice with his family and informed coaches that he was committed to sign with them come February.
Fonua is a 6-foot, 200-pound defensive back prospect who gained interest this summer after some standout performances at national camps and combines. The Syracuse product recorded consistent sub 4.5 forty times and was met with offers from BYU and from Utah over the summer.
“I really love everything about the school and the program," Fonua said shortly after BYU offered. "I’m LDS, and I have definite plans to serve a mission, so I fit in well there, and I’d love the opportunity to play for a program like BYU. I love the coaches.”
Fonua will be a senior this year and has plans to serve a mission for the LDS Church before enrolling at BYU.
When he returns, he should prove a credit to BYU's program.
"He's a very hard worker and completely dedicated to getting better as a player," said Syracuse coach Russ Jones. "It's a thrill for me as a coach whenever one of my players gets an opportunity to play for a program like BYU, and he'll do outstanding there. He's the type of kid who does anything you ask of him."
Fonua will likely play safety while at BYU, but could play any number of positions according to Jones.
"He could play running back, corner, safety and even linebacker at the next level," Jones said. "He's made himself into a really great player, and I think he'll only continue working and make himself into an outstanding college player."
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- Jazz notes: Trey Lyles still not with team...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 102
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 25
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24