Right on the money: Which presidents are now on American currency?
With the recent announcement that Sir Winston Churchill will be replacing influential social reformer Elizabeth Fry on the £5 note in 2016, women's advocacy groups in Great Britain expressed concern that no female characters, save the Queen, would be represented on the UK's currency.
To make up for the loss, The Bank of England announced last week that famed British author Jane Austen would be replacing Charles Darwin on the next £10 note, to be released in 2016.
The recent attention to historical figures honored on money has brought some to criticize America's lack of female faces circulated in our banks and businesses.
Although Susan B. Anthony was featured on a silver dollar from 1979 to 1981, and again in 1999, that coin is no longer in wide circulation, leaving no female leaders on American bank notes or coinage.
But how much does being on American money really mean, anyway?
To many, it means quite a lot. Despite the lack of feminine representation, American currency has long sought to represent the leaders who have shaped the country, immortalizing their portraits on bills and coins.
While most Americans are probably aware of the faces that grace the front of more common small bills, there are many bank notes that are either rare or out of circulation that have also been used to honor the memory of past leaders.
Do you know which presidents are represented on American currency?
- It just became easier to be a mother in the Navy
- Greek villagers' secret weapon: Grow your own...
- Here's an odd way to make it through college...
- The average Joe only works 4.5 hours a day....
- Dave Ramsey says: Dave Ramsey: Handle money...
- What's next, as Greece stumbles toward euro exit
- Job market's new normal: Smaller workforce,...
- Balancing act: Individual's work-life journey...
- Here's an odd way to make it through... 15
- Job market's new normal: Smaller... 8
- The average Joe only works 4.5 hours a... 4
- Greek villagers' secret weapon: Grow... 3
- What's next, as Greece stumbles toward... 3
- Greek PM Tsipras races to restart talks... 1
- It just became easier to be a mother in... 1