High school football: Perennial power San Juan the cream of the 2A South crop again
6. PAROWAN: With nine returning starters on each side of the ball, second-year coach Brigham Nielsen expects his team to be much more competitive this season. It starts on the offensive line where Cannon Brunzvick, Fernando Carrillo, Dallin Benson, Marty Stubbs and Anthony Shaw are all expected to make solid contributions. Caleb Murphy would be right in the heart of the O-line, but he made a move to QB late last season and that’s where he’ll start this season. Jake Topham could be the key offensively, a fullback coach Nielsen said needs to involved much more this season. Cody Hartlmaier and Kirk Harrison are solid receivers who will be expected to make plays when Parowan throws. 2012 RECORD: 1-8. PLAYOFFS: Did not qualify.
7. NORTH SEVIER: First-year coach Chuck Woodhouse inherited a pretty decent team heading into the 2013 season. With roughly nine returning starters on each side of the ball, including four offensive linemen, it’s hard to imagine North Sevier going winless again this season. Offensively the Wolves also return quarterback Fisher Andersen, who started as a freshman last year, along with running back Desmond Honeycutt and Brendon Sorenson. Woodhouse is making a switch to the spread offense, and he expects big things from receiver Collin Rasmussen. Defensively, Marshall Roundy, Colton Mayo and Honeycutt will anchor a linebacking corps that could be pretty decent. Nose guard Jake Thompson will be a tough assignment for opposing offenses. 2012 RECORD: 0-9. PLAYOFFS: Did not qualify.
Follow Deseret News prep editor James Edward on Twitter @DNewsPreps
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 21