Dick Harmon: Opening day of fall camp draws huge crowd at BYU
Since Max Hall walked off the field in his final Las Vegas Bowl, a 44-20 win over Oregon State on Dec. 22, 2009, Bronco Mendenhall has witnessed four quarterbacks start games for his offense.
That’s too many.
It points to injuries, instability and change — the opposite of health, stability and consistency.
And that’s what so important to Mendenhall this fall. He’s changed his entire offensive staff. He’s brought in seven new offensive linemen. And he’s got Hill primed and ready to be scrutinized at a level more intense than Ty Detmer ever had due to the Internet, blogs, message boards, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook.
This was part of Saturday’s hill for Hill.
Offensive coordinator Robert Anae praised his quarterback after Saturday’s first practice.
“Taysom has done his work. His body is a machine. That body looks like an NFL safety. His conditioning test was no problem. He’s fast; he’s mobile; and he has a nice touch on the ball.”
Hill said he is excited to put BYU’s offense to the test this fall and praised veterans and newcomers alike for making an effort to go fast and hard.
“For the first day, we made a lot of plays. We have areas we have to work on but I’m looking forward to Monday and the opportunity to improve,” said the sophomore.
Saturday, that was the key word: improve.
And in BYU's camp, everyone was humble enough to say it as often as they were asked.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- College football predictions: How will... 137
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36