High school football: Everyone gunning for Duchesne again in 1A
Deseret News projections for 1A North football teams in 2013
(Preseason rankings are based on coaches’ votes)
1. DUCHESNE: Duchesne doesn’t return much experience from last year’s title team, but what it does return is very, very good. It starts with QB Trent Roberts, who started at QB and safety a year ago. He passed for 16 touchdowns and rushed for 12 more, and even bigger things are expected this year. Coach Jerry Cowan said he also wouldn’t be surprised if Roberts led the team in tackling. Senior running back Matt Muir is also back. He was second on the team a year ago with 564 rushing yards. Muir also added three interceptions defensively. Colin Moon is a returning starter at linebacker, where he racked up 55 tackles a year ago. Moon will also start on the offensive line, the big question mark for Duchesne with zero returning starters. 2012 RECORD: 12-0. PLAYOFFS: Beat Rich in 1A championship.
2. RICH: With several key returning starters on both its offensive and defensive lines, Rich hopes it has the experience in 2013 to dethrone Duchesne. It starts in the trenches. Dakota Clark and Isaac Hopkins are both returning starters on the offensive and defensive line, while McKay Jarman and Skyler Argyle are returning starters at defensive end. With the graduation of 1,000-yard rushers Austin Groll and Kaden Thomson, Benjamin Groll takes over a running back. He was very productive in his own right last year rushing for 562 yards and three touchdowns on 91 carries. Jarman and Vance Weston are returning starters at wide receiver. 2012 RECORD: 8-4. PLAYOFFS: Lost to Duchesne in 1A championship.
3. ALTAMONT: Anthony Wilcox takes over as head coach at Altamont, the only school with a new head coach this season. The program graduated the bulk of the starters from last year’s semifinal team, but Wilcox has talent to work with in hopes of competing near the top of 1A. Junior Rylee Foy takes over at running back, and has big shoes to fill trying to replace 1,800-yard rusher Kyle Foy. Fellow junior Slaton Thompson will also see plenty of carries after rushing for more than 200 yards last year. Talon Gines will help anchor both lines, and offensively he’ll try and provide protection for new quarterback Dylan Lindsay. The senior saw plenty of action defensively, but only received a few snaps offensively. 2012 RECORD: 5-7. PLAYOFFS: Lost to Rich in 1A semifinals.
4. MILFORD: There’s no shortage of optimism surrounding Milford this year. After starting mostly freshmen and sophomores the past two seasons, the Tigers return every starter in 2013 and coach Brian Williamson said that physical they’re finally ready to compete at the varsity level. While many of the primary contributors are still underclassmen, senior Lucas O’Daniel will play a vital leadership role on the offensive and defensive line. Junior Wade Netto is a returning starter at running back, and big things are expected after he rushed for more than 700 yards a year ago. Fellow junior Kaydon Noyes is also expected to make contributions at running back, and he’ll anchor the defense at linebacker. 2012 RECORD: 1-9. PLAYOFFS: Lost to Duchesne in 1A quarterfinals.
Deseret News projections for 1A South football teams in 2013
1. KANAB: After posting 6-5, 4-7, 5-5 and 5-5 records the past four years in 2A, the Cowboys are an instant contender in 1A. With only four returning starters, however, getting over the hump and beating quality 1A programs like Duchesne, Rich and Monticello won’t be easy. Senior QB Merrill Terry is definitely a player to watch. A wide receiver last year, Terry is shifting to QB and has a ton of speed. Terry’s top receiving threat this year will be Hadin Jones, who was second on the team in 2012 with 386 yards. Taylor Glover (RB/LB) is a returning starter on both sides of the ball and will be counted on heavily. Daven Russell is the lone returning starter on the offensive line, but newcomers Madison Knape and Nate Bowman will be impact players as well. 2012 RECORD: 5-5. PLAYOFFS: Lost to Emery in 2A first round.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- 5A tennis: Lone Peak takes first boys tennis...
- 4A boys tennis: Timpview takes 13th title in...
- High school boys track: Final state meet results
- High school girls track: Final state meet...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 4
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0