Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who worshipped at an LDS temple this week saw something unexpected: a new film.
Since the 1970s, a portion of LDS temple instruction has been provided through pre-recorded media, including film.
Beginning this week, a new temple film is being shown in several LDS temples.
"The new temple film is the first update in more than 20 years,” said church spokeswoman Ruth Todd. “There have been no changes to the script. English-language copies of the new film are being sent to temples over the next few weeks and will subsequently be translated into other languages."
Mormon temple worship occurs in 141 dedicated temples around the world. It differs from regular weekly worship services that are held in thousands of local church buildings called meetinghouses. Temple worship is reserved for active church members whom local ecclesiastical leaders have recommended for their faithfulness to LDS doctrines and teachings, whereas weekly services are open to people of all ages and faiths.
Out of reverence for what Latter-day Saints consider the sacred nature of temple worship, Mormons are admonished to be circumspect about discussing the details of temple instruction.
For more information about LDS temples please go to mormonnewsroom.org.
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- New collaboration helps track pioneer...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Hobby Lobby,...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's influence...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch indexing...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 34
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 21
- After government topples crosses in... 17
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 15
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Having trouble understanding the Bible?... 4