Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who worshipped at an LDS temple this week saw something unexpected: a new film.
Since the 1970s, a portion of LDS temple instruction has been provided through pre-recorded media, including film.
Beginning this week, a new temple film is being shown in several LDS temples.
"The new temple film is the first update in more than 20 years,” said church spokeswoman Ruth Todd. “There have been no changes to the script. English-language copies of the new film are being sent to temples over the next few weeks and will subsequently be translated into other languages."
Mormon temple worship occurs in 141 dedicated temples around the world. It differs from regular weekly worship services that are held in thousands of local church buildings called meetinghouses. Temple worship is reserved for active church members whom local ecclesiastical leaders have recommended for their faithfulness to LDS doctrines and teachings, whereas weekly services are open to people of all ages and faiths.
Out of reverence for what Latter-day Saints consider the sacred nature of temple worship, Mormons are admonished to be circumspect about discussing the details of temple instruction.
For more information about LDS temples please go to mormonnewsroom.org.
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- First Presidency Easter Message
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Watch: Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir celebrates Easter...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 78
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 51
- How much did President Obama donate to... 46
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Tipping points:... 37
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and... 24